Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:00:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
You can only claim them once so if already claimed on the company accounts for the 22/23 tax year, you cannot claim them again. you would need to then choose where you are claiming them for future years.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 22:51:29 GMT by goodform23
Good evening - my employer provides an allowance for travel expenses including subsistence. If I exceed the allowance am I allowed to claim tax relief on the difference? For example if I pay £30.00 for an evening meal and my employer reimburses me £25.00 (as per the allowance policy) then can I claim the £5,00 difference as a Business Travel and Subsistence expense on my self assessment?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:59:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi goodform23,
There are set limits on what can be claimed.
Any costs incurred by you above those limits, cannot be claimed for.  
Have a look at:-
 Employment Income Manual EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:38:41 GMT by
Hi, I am just finishing my self-assessment and have to got to the part about my LTD company (micro entity) and I have realised that I have mistakenly labelled a bill paid to me (the director) as a directors loan. The bill was for expenses incurred over the year that I paid for on my personal bank card rather than the business, it included fuel and expenses for business travel, insurance for the work truck and other medium and small payments that all added up to £1500. I have adjusted this in my accounting software to show that it was a bill paid to user for expenses, but I still have the problem of knowing where to put it in my self-assessment. Is this labelled as income from the business? If so, I haven't gotten my PAYE details from HMRC yet, does this matter, how do I put this into the self-assessment, which box? or is it not relevant as it is just a bill for expenses that should've just been paid for on the work bank card? Thank you
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:42:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi hsayer,
If payments from the employment as a director you would need to submit an employment page.
If you do not yet have a PAYE reference you can enter none in that box and the declare the employment details. 
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:54:05 GMT by Helen Stephens
Hi, If the employer reimburses the employee for mileage at 0.45ppm for private travel (Ordinary commuting) in their own car, am I right in thinking that this is treated as 'other earnings' and that tax and NI are due? And, if the payment has been made outside of payroll, then this should be added as 'other earnings' on their payslip and a negative amount entered as a deduction for the reimbursement already made? Thank you,
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 06:10:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Helen Stephens,
You are right, when your employer provides for your ordinary commuting (by reimbursing the costs, by paying directly for the travel or by providing travel facilities) and this arises from or by reason of the employment, the payment or provision is taxable.
Reimbursements would usually included as gross pay for PAYE purposes, and be reported on form P11D or a Full Payment Submission (FPS) if the employer is registered to payroll benefits.
If they are not payrolling these benefits, enter the amount reimbursed under 'expenses payments received and balancing charges', on the Taxable Benefits and Expenses page for the specific employment.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.