Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:01:58 GMT by Kyle Innes
Hi, I am currently employed as a supply teacher and each month within my salary I receive business mileage as I live quite far away from the school. This amount which reaches just above £1000 per year is added to my payslip each month. If I am filling out my self-assessment tax return, do I need to state this figure on it or is it something that the council that I work for deals with in their P11D form? I also received a letter from the council that i work for in regards to mileage as I was curious what a minus of £809 was for and they stated the following... The minus £809.00 on letter P11D represents the value of the mileage shown as not paid. It is not an amount that you need to pay or will be reimbursed for. However HM Revenue & Customs will take this amount into account in assessing your tax free allowance and whether your tax code needs to be changed.
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 08:10:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Kyle Innes,
If included in your salary then you would not need to declare separately on your Self Assessment.
If there is a figure on the P11d then this will be a separate taxable benefit and will need to be declared on your Self Assessment. 
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 09:49:23 GMT by Kyle Innes
Thanks for your reply, The only letter that I received was one from the council entitled: Notification of Allowances and benefits Then a table that stated the following. HMRC Unpaid miles Total paid Tax relief Profit/loss Miles: 3,240.00 1800 5040 Value: £1,458.00 £1,458.00 £2,268.00 -£809 "Then the amount of miles and amount paid in respect of each type of mileage are shown. The total sum paid together with tax relief allowable are used to calculate the profit/loss, rounded to the nearest whole pound." I'm guessing that I do not need to declare this on my self-assessmnet? Thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 07:52:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kyle Innes,
We would advise you contact HMRC to see what the employer has submitted declaring any taxable benefits on the form P11d.
The P11d form is not due to be submitted by the employer until 6 July.  
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.