Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jul 2024 16:53:36 GMT by alanbobduncan Duncan
Hi, I have been claiming SED Seasfarers Earning deduction since 2007 and do this annually with accountant and self assesment form. A number of years ago received a letter from HMRC, that 'procedures need to be followed to ensure correct claims' My current understanding is that as a result of my claiming SED, the claim is on the whole wage/income, my net income is £0. But when i complete the form for Universal credit with my partner, it does not allow me to enter £0, and i have completed the journal entries stating what SED is and that £0 net income should be declared, but Universal Credit want what is written on my payslips which i think is still incorrect according to previous guidance from HMRC. I have looked online at all the seaferers pages but there is only guidnace on making a claim, nothing regarding net income being £0. Universal Guidnace helpline wasn't much use as they hadn't heard of SED Seafarers earning deduction. So my question is do I still enter £0 as my net income? and how do i get the Universal Credit team to understand this? Can HMRC send me a form or a letter that I can show them?
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 08:48:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi alanbobduncan.
You would need to ask Universal Credit this information.
You can refer them to:
Seafarers Earnings Deduction: tax relief if you work on a ship
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 09:46:54 GMT by alanbobduncan Duncan
I have spoken to Universal credit about this, i can refer them to that link you mention, but it does not state that net income is £0 when making an SED claim. I think that is the issue. At the moment it is just going around in circles. SED either makes net income £0 or it doesn't. What would be useful is to have something in writing to show them, which is not available on any HMRC website, and i have been through the various pages and documents with a fine tooth comb. Is SED Sea-farers earning deduction claim making net income £0? What documents do i need to show Universal credit to prove this? Myself speaking to universal credit and telling them isn't working, they simply say they haven't heard of it. What document can i get from HMRC to show my net income is £0? I make an annual tax return with my accountant for SED claim. Thank you for taking the time to reply, i didn't think it would be this difficult to piece together for the various different government departments. The seafarers helpline is the general HMRC helpline and doesn't go to a seafarers helpdesk, it goes to any desk. Any phone numbers or contacts greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 09:46:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
You would need to ask Universal Credit what they want HMRC to send to them. You cannot request it on this forum and will need to ask for this on 0300 200 3300.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.