Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 07:38:27 GMT by Norse Dog
As self assessment becomes increasingly complex, I have engaged an accountant to file on my behalf to ensure that I stay within regulations. Can I claim this as an allowable expense against tax?
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:03:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you are self employed, yes - please see
Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:19:19 GMT by Norse Dog
Thank you for your response. Can I claim accountancy fees if my income is from rental property? I am an accidental landlord that lets my home whilst away serving in HM Forces. Do special regulations apply or is it treated the same as for buy to let landlords and are they eligible to claim accountancy fees?
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 11:56:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Norse Dog,
Yes, you can claim these against the rental income and should therefore be included in the income from property section of your return -
PIM2120 - Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.