Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:56:57 GMT by G K
I am a NRL. I'd like to submit a self-assessment through one of the HMRC recommended commercial software suppliers. To do so, I need an online self-assessment account. I have so far been unable to because my address registered is out of UK. I want to know whether this can be solved if I provide a UK address for the Self assessment team to register me with. Is there anything preventing a NRL with a UK address from registering or submitting self-assessments this way? I have a UTR, I do not have a NINO.
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 16:51:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi GK,

In some cases, yes.  
If you can verify your identity and obtain a government gateway user ID and password.  You can use this to submit a 3rd party commercial software tax return,
by 31 January each year, which you have to purchase (one that includes the residence section).  
A list of commercial software suppliers can be found at Self Assessment commercial software suppliers.  
If you are unable to verify your identity, then you cannot submit an online return.  
You will need to download a paper return and supplementary form  from Self Assessment tax return forms and submit a paper return by 31 October each year.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2023 07:25:26 GMT by G K
That's great to hear. I would like to give this a try. What are the requirements in order to: 1. verify your identity 2. obtain a government gateway user ID and password? I understand one of them is to have a UK postcode that can be verified (is this verification via postal mail?)
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 14:07:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
All the options regarding the verification will be shown when you register for the account.
We don't have information regarding how the address is verified.
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:10:24 GMT by G K
I've not been able to change my address through the webchat I've also understood that it won't be possible for me to change to a UK address (Based on the excerpt below from If you do not have a personal tax account, You need a Government Gateway user ID and password to set up a personal tax account. If you do not already have a user ID you can create one when you sign in for the first time. You’ll need your National Insurance number or postcode and 2 of the following: a valid UK passport a UK photocard driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland) a payslip from the last 3 months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year details of a tax credit claim if you made one details from a Self Assessment tax return (in the last 2 years) if you made one information held on your credit record if you have one (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages)
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 14:33:39 GMT by G K
It seems impossible for a NRL to register and therefore submit online. I printed out the paper forms and posted it

You must be signed in to post in this forum.