Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 17:19:43 GMT by
Hi! I have some EIS investments from 2019 for which I need to claim tax relief. I know it is possible to claim relief up to 5 years after the year of investment, but I think the actual relief would only be applied to the tax year the investment was made (or the year before that). If I wanted to claim tax relief for these investments, is it possible to do this via the 22-23 online self assessment submission somehow? Or would I have to fill out my online self assessment as normal, and then separately have to fill out paper copies of the EIS form and send them in to HMRC? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 15:05:53 GMT by maxb
I'm pretty sure you're stuck using the paper form - says "If you receive the form after you’ve sent your tax return, complete the claim form inside the EIS3 or EIS5 and send it to us." Which unfortunately sucks, as paper forms are so much less convenient :-( I'm currently waiting and hoping my last EIS3 for 2022-23 gets issued before the SA deadline, to avoid this myself.
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 15:11:16 GMT by maxb
I just found which confirms it's OK to submit an amended return to include additional EIS claims ... but the deadline for amending returns dealing with 2019 is long past so that still leaves you stuck with the paper claim form.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 10:57:51 GMT by
Yes not ideal - thanks so much for your help, appreciate it
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:13:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You would only be able to include an EIS claim in your 22/23 tax return for that tax year.  
If your claim is for tax relief on an investment of over £33333, then this claim will need to be submitted on a self assessment tax return (SA100) and be declared on SA101 (additional information).  
If you completed a tax return for the year you wish to claim the relief for, you can amend the tax return or if that can no longer be done, you would need to submit an overpayment relief claim in writing.  
Please also have a look at helpsheet HS341 at Enterprise Investment Scheme – Income Tax relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS341).

Thank you
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:47:04 GMT by Amrit
Hi HMRC Admin, Is it true that one can claim EIS relief for up to previous 5 years? If yes, what's the way to claim? I too have some EIS investments from 2019 and 2020 that I've forgotten to claim income tax relief on. I was a PAYE till 2022 and started self assessment from then on. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:22:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Amrit,
Please refer to the guidance here:
VCM14130 - Venture Capital Schemes Manual: the Enterprise Investment Scheme: income tax relief: investor procedures: investor conditions to claim tax reliefs
HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2024)
You should complete the claim forms enclosed with the EIS3 or EIS5 certificates and send them to us for the years that you did not complete Tax Returns and for the years that you have already completed returns, and failed to make a claim in those returns. 
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.