Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:24:55 GMT by stringy
On my 2021/22 tax return I had a business that had over 1k in turnover and the business was a separate section on my self assessment. In tax year 2022 / 23 the income is less than 1k but still made a few hundred pound in profit. This mean I can use my trading allowance? How do I reflect this in my self assessment do I just not have a self employment page for it at all so that it does not show on my self assessment or do I need a section for it and somehow come down to a zero figure?
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:29:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi stringy,

You do not need to declare this as the trading allowance covers anything up to £1000 so technically no taxable profit.
Anwer no to the question was your turnover over £1000. you can put a note at the additional information section on the return to clarify.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:08:42 GMT by stringy
What section is the box where you was to answer "No" to the question "was your turnover over £1000" Which additional information section should I put the clarification?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 11:57:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Stringy
In section 3, tailor your return, you would select yes to self employment and provide a name for your self employment.  Save and continue.  Click on section 4 - fill in your return and select self employment from the list.  Select 'No' to was your turnover more than £85000.  Scrool down to the questions regarding the turn over of £1000 or less and Save and continue.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:46:09 GMT by stringy
I have a second section on my self employments as I have fostering income. This is over £1000 turnover. Is the trading allowance a combined turnover total for all self employments or for each self employment? Scenario For example my craft business had £200 turnover but my fostering self employment had £5000 turnover. Does this mean A. the combined of the two turnovers is over the £1000 allowance being £5200 so I cannot claim turnover allowance at all? or B. Each employment has a trading allowance so in the scenario above I can claim the trading allowance on the business with £200 turnover but not the fostering self employment?
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:46:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi stringy,
It is one trading allowance of £1000 only no matter how many self employments you have.
Further guidance is here:
Tax-free allowances on property and trading income
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 14:00:24 GMT by stringy
so to clarify can I use it on the craft business even though I have combined self employment turnover on both of over £1000
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 07:55:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi stringy,
The trading income allowance can only be claimed instead of claiming expenses.
If you have combined your craft business profit with that of another business, you can only claim expenses or the trading income allowance, not both.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.