Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:02:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

A UK resident individual is required to declare their world-wide income and gains to HMRC each tax year. An individual with overseas income or gains would do this by completing a Self Assessment Tax Return, no matter how small the amount of overseas income or gains and even if no tax is payable.  

You would declare your overseas income and or gains in pounds sterling, by submitting SA100 (tax return) and any supplementary pages as appropriate. Overseas interest would be declare in pounds sterling on on SA106 (foreign).  

You can register for self assessment at:

Check how to register for Self Assessment

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:30:38 GMT by ACTS
Hi HMRC Admin, I am confusing after read this chain of thread. It is clear that if the foreign interest or the foreign dividends is more than £2000, fill in the SA106 page F2. Do not need to report them in SA100 page TR3. However, I am confusing on below statements which I summarized from this thread: 1) If the foreign interest and dividends are NOT from UK banks and building societies (for example, they are in a foreign account), then you would complete the SA106 and enter the savings income on page F2, even though the amount is less than £2000. 2) If the foreign interest or the foreign dividends is less than £2000, no matter it is from either UK banks or non-UK banks, they should be reported in SA100 TR3 and do not need to fill in SA106 F2. Could you please advise which statement is correct? I have another question, it is: I refer to Admin 32's reply above, noted that “…An individual with overseas income or gains would do this by completing a Self Assessment Tax Return, no matter how small the amount of overseas income or gains and even if no tax is payable…” My case is that I have foreign dividend net £0.32 and paid £0.09 tax for this foreign dividend. However, in the online form, it does not allow me to fill the decimal place value into neither box 6 and box 7 on SA100 TR3 nor F2 on SA106. In this case, how do I declare this foreign dividend and the tax paid? Many thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:03:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20

Where the only source of foreign income is untaxed interest of less than £2000.00, you can declare it in box 3 of SA100 instead of declaring on SA106.  
It is the same with foreign dividends.  You can declare up to £2000.00 of foreign dividends in box 6 of SA100, instead of SA106.  
In instances where you cannot declare the foreign income and dividends in boxes 3 and 6, then you need to declare on SA106.
Self assessment is completed using whole pounds only.  You round up or round down to whole pounds to your advantage.  
Where the amount interest is below £1.00, then this does not need to be declared, as rounding down would mean it is £0.00.  
When stating no matter how small the amount, the meaning was that when rounded up or down, the whole pounds was £1 or more.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:25:45 GMT by
Hi HMRC admin, In the post, it is mentioned that the Interest income should be reported as it is reported in the foreign country's tax return (US for example) regardless of the timeline. My question is related to India and the interest computed in India is based on different rules (primary account holder, accrual method & difference in timeline 01Apr-31Mar) compared to the UK so how should this be reported - should it be reported according to how it has been filed in India or should the interest be calculated as per UK method? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:21:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Please report using UK method.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 09:44:27 GMT by
Hi HMRC team, I hold bonds and stocks issued by UK banks/companies (eg HSBC, LSEG and Barclays) but these securities are held in my Hong Kong investment accounts (ie outside the UK). The bond interest and cash dividends are deposited to my Hong Kong investment account. I haven’t remitted any to the UK and I plan to claim remittance basis. Appreciate your guidance …… shall I report the interest & dividends under box 2 & box 4 of SA100 or ……shall I list them on Page F2 of SA106 (marked as GBR sourced) ? Thank you very much!
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:55:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
This is foreign income and if claiming the remittance basis you only report any foreign income that is remitted to the UK.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:57:24 GMT by Alisdair Fraser
Hi. I have received dividends on shares I hold in a US company, held in an eTrade account. The total of the dividends is ~300 GBP, and they have not been subject to any US taxes. Where should I put this on my self-assessment tax return? Note - I see a lot of chat referring to box #, but these numbers don't seem to show on the online self-assessment form. I tried to put these into the page titled "Dividends". I put the value of the dividends in the 3rd box, and I put 0 in the 4th box to indicate that no foreign tax has been taken off, but when I try to go off that page I get a big red warning stating "WARNING: Make sure you have entered the correct amount of foreign dividends." but without any guidance as to why the form thinks something is wrong. Many thanks in advance for your guidance on this.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:25:21 GMT by John Warton
I am a UK tax resident and receive dividends from a German Company. Does anyone know the correct amount of Foreign Tax Credit Relief for German share dividends please?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:13:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alisdair Fraser,
On a paper tax return (SA100) you can declare foreign dividends of up to £2000 in box 6 of page TR3 (Foreign dividends (up to £2,000) – the amount in sterling after foreign tax was taken off.
Do not include this amount in the ‘Foreign’ pages.
The online tax return will have a box entitled in the same way.
If you receive a 'warning' message, it is just Self Assessment bringing the entry to your attention.
It's really just asking your to take a second look at the entry, to ensure it is correct.
If it is,click on save and continue, to move to the next section.
If you receive an 'Error' message, then there is an issue with the entry in the box.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:14:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi John Warton,

The rate is 15%.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:43:46 GMT by Alisdair Fraser
Hi @HMRC Admin 25. Thanks for the guidance. Just some feedback on the form which you might want to pass on to the relevant person/team. The message which is displayed states "WARNING: Please check and amend the entry below" in red letters. That is quite a different tone to the guidance which you have provided, and literally means I should change the number, not that there might be an issue. The messaging here should be adjusted to be more in line with what you really mean, and perhaps give some guidance as to why this has come up (i.e. why is £277 a questionable number in this box). I will go ahead and make my submission now, but maybe that is worth taking a look at. Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.