Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:08:38 GMT by
Problem 1: I received some rental income from Hong Kong for the year of assessment 2022/2023, I will apply split year treatment and to be UK resident after I arrived UK. My problem is the property tax from Hong Kong is not yet paid within the period from 4/2022-3/2023, just tax payable in Hong Kong. Can I claim the foreign tax relief? Problem 2: My life insurance is terminated before I arrived UK and the refund from insurance is banked into my bank account after the date of arrival, is it non-taxable? or use time proportion deduction? Case 2: My wife's life insurance is terminated after she arrived UK and the refund from insurance is banked into her bank account after the date of arrival, is it non-taxable? or use time proportion deduction? Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 12:14:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,
  1. If not yet paid then no. you can amend the return at a later date to claim foreign tax credit relief.  
  2. No, as it was actually done prior to arrival.  
For your wife, is this the MPF fund? If yes, then this is not taxable in the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 16:04:55 GMT by
Thanks for your reply. For Problem 1 -that means I can amend the return and claim Foreign tax credit relief fore Y/A 2022/2023 after I paid the property tax after May 2023? For Problem 2 -My life insurance refund is not taxable, even bank in after the date of arrival in UK? -My Wife's life insurance refund is taxable, but she can use the time proportion deduction to reduce the gain from insurance and put the reduced figure in SA106 Box 43, Right?
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:37:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,
  1. That is correct.    
  2. That is correct too.  
  3. If it is a MPF fund then this is not taxable income in the UK.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.