Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:26:39 GMT by
We have to make a payment for shortfall in NI contributions over a few years. We would like to do so by bank transfer. The instructions explain how the reference should be made - but that is the same for all years. So, my two questions are: 1. In order to make a transfer for, say, year 2012, and one for year 2013, how can I indicate which is which? 2. Is it possible to make ONE single transfer for the sum of all shortfalls? For example, if there are three shortfalls of £ 220, 50 and 13, can I make a single transfer for the sum, i.e. £ 283? Many thanks for your help!
Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:03:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Marco Federighi,

You can make a single transfer and or multiple transfers which ever your prefer.

 Once your payment is showing on our financial system it will be allocated to your National Insurance (NI) record.

If you are paying from abroad your CF83 application will be noted on our system which years you can pay.

This will include and part years or years where your are paying a mix of rates of voluntary abroad National Insurance Contributions
Our International Caseworkers use this information to allocate your payment to your NI record.

If you are paying voluntary Class 3 NICs in the UK your record is noted which years you can pay and our Individual Caseworkers will use this information to allocate your payment.

Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:50:47 GMT by
This is very helpful - many thanks for your swift and clear reply. I will make a bank transfer for the entire shortfall. I will have to do so from my bank in Spain because, bizarrely, my UK bank (HSBC) does not recognise the HMRC NIC receipts accunt (20-20-48, 30944793) and is preventing me from making the transfer. Again many thanks, and best regards
Posted Sun, 20 Aug 2023 13:20:21 GMT by
Hello I am 63, female married, receive 2 small pensions= £65.00 a week in total, and low rate PiP, not eligible for UC. I Have 38years NI credit, system shows 8 years & partial year contributions owed. I have been a carer 2014 husband work accident (never claimed carer allowance ) then I became very ill, last 3 years, shielded with covid. I am unable to work, have claimed Newstyle ESA, but won't get benefit as not worked last 2/3 years, but being put forward for ESA credits. I am in receipt of PIP low mobility. If I pay voluntary 3 missed contributions, for last 2 years, will I be able to get newstyle ESA benefit, and would I be able to choose the 2/3 years beforehand to top up, Please signpost me, quite confused, thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:09:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dippysuzy123 ALLIN,

Unfortunately we cannot give any specific advice via this Forum.
I would recommend you check your State Pension position via Check your State Pension forecast before you make any decisions about paying any voluntary NI Contributions.  
You can contact the Future Pension Centre by telephone to request a Forecast, the number is 0800 731 0175 and they are open Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.
If you have a Personal Tax Account you can also use this to check your Pension Forecast and your National Insurance Record.  
You may be due credits of NI through the Benefit system – you should check this out with your local Job Centre where you claim ESA.  

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:32:52 GMT by Paddy Murphy
Hi I have the option to buy back missing years and I sent off the form indicating which years I wanted to pay and the direct debit mandate in February 2023. A letter was sent to me in December 2023 but I never received it. I called last week and was told that essentially the payment for my missing years could no longer be collected by Direct Debit and that I would need to pay by bank transfer. Not all of the years I buyback will have the same increase in my pension so I do not want to buy back all of the years. The last year costs circa 800 GBP and only increases my pension by less than £1 per week so I do not wish to pay that year My question is if I make a payment by bank transfer how will you know which years I want to buyback (I don't want to buy them all). The final year has the same price as other years so it will not be evident which year I want to buyback just from the amount I send. Also how long will it take for this payments to reflect in my online Pension forecast?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:08:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Paddy Murphy,
To pay voluntary National Insurance contributions you will need a 18 Digit Number which you can obtain from our National Insurance Helpline.
You would let the Helpline know which tax year(s) you would like to pay (as it looks as if you’ve checked with Future Pension Centre about your pension entitlement) and they would give you a 18 Digit Number and note our records of the tax year(s) that you’d like to pay.
It can take up to 8 weeks from receipt of your payment before it is reflected on your Personal Tax Account.
Our National Insurance Helpline number is:  0300 200 3500.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.