Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:39:22 GMT by Fra
Hello there, To include tax advantages coming from investing in EIS/SEIS/VCT vehicles, is the date of the investment that counts for a specific tax year or rather when you receive the certificate? I need to understand it to include the investment in this or next calendar year. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:27:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The general rule is that the relief is available for the tax year in which the shares are issued or, where you have invested in an approved knowledge intensive investment fund, the year in which the fund closed. But, if you choose, you can treat some or all of the shares as issued in the previous year and claim relief in that previous year, subject to the maximum limit for the year. You will find the date of issue of your shares recorded on form EIS3 and the date the approved fund closed on form EIS5. You can see guidance here: 

HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2023)

Thank you.  
Posted Sun, 07 Apr 2024 12:19:20 GMT by Jishnu Teegala
Hi, I am not the Original Poster but I can see that the relief is available in tax year in which the the shares have been issued, but i have a few questions. All of the questions below are with the context of using the platform Crowdcube. 1) 1.1) I have made EIS eligible investments during the 2023-2024 tax year, and intend to register for Self Assessment to claim them. Some of the investments have a statement confirming my beneficial ownership, but don't have EIS tax certificate issued yet. Can i still enter them in the 2023-2024 tax year self assessment that i intend to complete later this year? 1.2) For some investments the money left my hand in 2023-2024 tax year, but the shares have not been issue yet, and i anticipate that the shares will be issued in the 2024-2025 tax year. Would these need to be claimed in self assessment after the 2024-2025 tax year finishes if i intend to do self assessment? 2. I made some EIS investments in the 2022-2023 tax year, and because I am a PAYE employee, i sent the EIS3 claim forms to HMRC's address via post on August 2023. I have contacted them multiple times, and they they said that they would give me a reply soon, but they have been constantly delaying. I have had enough of chasing them, which is the reason why i intend to file for self assessment. My Question for this is that because i have already sent the EIS 3 claim forms, would it be possible to instead get the refund through self assessment somehow so that i can get the payment as soon as possible? Or do i just need to wait for the forms to be processed? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:13:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Enterprise Investment Scheme – Income Tax relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS341)

You can chase up the original claim by contacting our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.