Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2024 15:23:24 GMT by Candy Pang
Dear HMRC staff, My husband received SA316 and successfully submitted his self assessment 2023-2024 tax return to declare his saving interest .A reference number was given. The HMRC apps tax calculation stated that he is no need to pay the tax. However , we received SA251 today and inform us to send the tax return . May I ask. : 1)Since he had already submitted his tax return successfully, therefore it is nothing to do with the SA251 form . AmI right ? 2) The HMRC apps already state that he is no need to pay tax and the HMRC will not send us the letter for this tax return . The calculation in the apps is already the confirmed final calculation . Am I right ? Thanks for your advise . Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 10:21:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi 

The SA251 exit letter is usually issued when a taxpayer's record has been automatically selected to be closed, after our systems have identified that the recipient will likely have no Self Assessment criteria in future.
It's probable that this is in response to our systems receiving the submitted return.
To confirm that the submitted return has been received, though, we would need to check your husband's record - to allow us to do this, contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.