Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 22:10:45 GMT by A Chan
Hi I am a non dorm UK tax resident but have employment income from HK. Since I already paid tax on my HK employment income, is my employment income still taxable in the UK?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 09:17:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you were resident in Hong Kong in the period that you undertook this employment, then it is only taxable in Hong Kong, so you would not declare it as income in a Self Assessment tax return. You could, in the interests of full disclosure, mention it in box 19, the free hand box on page 7 of SA100.

Thank you..
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:10:00 GMT by A Chan
I have become a UK tax resident in 2023. But I still return to HK for a few months each year to work. Is this income from HK taxable in the UK? Do I need to declare it in self assessment per UK/HK tax treaty?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:33:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi A Chan,
If the HK work is for a UK employer then it is still liable in UK.
If a HK employer, under the terms of the DTA, income for work carried out on HK soil is only taxable there.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 17:05:25 GMT by A Chan
Thank you. My work is for a HK employer. Since it is only taxable in HK, would it be liable to UK tax if I bring it to the UK? How about my rental income from HK from a property I own in HK? Is it liable to UK tax? Any restriction in bring it into the UK? Warm regards
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 07:33:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As stated, the payment for work done in Hong Kong is only taxable there. The rental income though, must be declared if you bring it to the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.