Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 12:03:12 GMT by Dansoarr
Hi, I work for a German company (PAYE employee) with no offices in the UK. I work from home in the UK and travel to Germany for 3 or 4 days per month. For those days I am in Germany I get taxed in Germany based on the time i am there. My whole gross pay is then reported to the UK for taxation. Therefore I get taxed twice for those days. I get a report from my business to say how much tax i have paid to Germany, in the year, but not broken down in terms of how much pay this tax was on. How do I claim this tax back? Thanks
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:35:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dansoarr,
As you are UK resident, you are taxable on your world-wide income in the UK, this would include your German employment income.  
You are taxable in Germany for the employment income arising while you are in Germany.
You would declare the gross earnings in the employment section along with the UK tax deducted.
You would also need to include the foreign income and tax paid in the foreign section and claim a foreign tax credit for the German tax paid.  
This will prevent you being taxed twice.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.