Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Home Office PAYE self assessment

I work from home as there is no company office within 600 miles of my house. I have a dedicated office in my house which is used exclusively business. 1. Can I claim for a percentage of my house bills for example or am i restricted to the £6 per day? If i can claim for a percentage of my electricity for example, how would I calculate this, is there an accepted HMRC method? for example, if my electricity bill was £4000 per year, would I a) try to estimate the heating and lighting costs for that room based on consumption of appliances b) divide the £4000 by the total number of rooms in my house (7) and use that number c) divide the £4000 by the total number of rooms in my house (excluding bathrooms and kitchen) and use that number d) divide the £4000 by the area of my house and times that but the area of my office 2. Can I claim for a percentage of my internet as I have to have fibre to enable business conference calls. If so would I divide the costs by the number of users in the house adding the business use as an extra ‘person’? 3. Would I enter this on my tax return in my PAYE employment section, under other business expenses? Many thanks in advance AD
  • Home Office

Hi, I work for a German company (PAYE employee) with no offices in the UK. I work from home in the UK full time and travel to Germany for 3 or 4 days per month. As such I have a room in my house as an office, it is exclusively for business use, what can I claim in terms of expenses? I have read its the standard £6 per day, although I thought that this is for general working from home and not a full exclusive use office. other posts I read say i can claim the proportion of my electricity and interest on my mortgage? If I can claim more than £6 per week, I assume this would be under other work expenses on my self assessment? If i can claim a percentage of my bills such as electricity, how would I calculate this ? Clearly I have to heat the room etc and lights on all day. Do i try to estimate the use or can I take my electricty bill and prorate it according to square metres of my office vs the whole house, or divide by the number of rooms I have? If I divide my the number of rooms, do I include kitchens and bathrooms? Thanks in advance
  • Double taxation in Germany and UK

Hi, I work for a German company (PAYE employee) with no offices in the UK. I work from home in the UK and travel to Germany for 3 or 4 days per month. For those days I am in Germany I get taxed in Germany based on the time i am there. My whole gross pay is then reported to the UK for taxation. Therefore I get taxed twice for those days. I get a report from my business to say how much tax i have paid to Germany, in the year, but not broken down in terms of how much pay this tax was on. How do I claim this tax back? Thanks