Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 12:10:59 GMT by Dansoarr
Hi, I work for a German company (PAYE employee) with no offices in the UK. I work from home in the UK full time and travel to Germany for 3 or 4 days per month. As such I have a room in my house as an office, it is exclusively for business use, what can I claim in terms of expenses? I have read its the standard £6 per day, although I thought that this is for general working from home and not a full exclusive use office. other posts I read say i can claim the proportion of my electricity and interest on my mortgage? If I can claim more than £6 per week, I assume this would be under other work expenses on my self assessment? If i can claim a percentage of my bills such as electricity, how would I calculate this ? Clearly I have to heat the room etc and lights on all day. Do i try to estimate the use or can I take my electricty bill and prorate it according to square metres of my office vs the whole house, or divide by the number of rooms I have? If I divide my the number of rooms, do I include kitchens and bathrooms? Thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:26:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dansoarr,
As an employee, you can only claim £6.00 per week.  
Only the self employed or partners in a partnership can claim a proportion of household utility bills against their self employment business.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.