Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 15:45:25 GMT by Peter Kennedy
As I receive a pension from overseas, I use Self Assessment to declare my revenues. I have recently qualified for a UK state pension but am not sure whether the amounts I receive have already had UK come tax deducted. Probably not but I'm having difficulty finding an answer. Can anyone assist? TIA.
Posted Fri, 03 Mar 2023 13:49:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

Tax is not deducted at source on your State Pension so it is the full amount received that you need to declare

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 03 Mar 2023 14:18:54 GMT by Gary Coombs
HMRC Admin 28, I think you meant to say that the UK state pension must be reported based on the full amount to which the person is entitled, not the amount they actually received in the tax year.
Posted Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:26:09 GMT by Peter Kennedy
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:49:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Gary Coombs,

That is correct the entitlement figure is used rather than the actual amount received during the tax year.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 17:55:51 GMT by Peter Kennedy
Now I'm confused - what is the "entitlement figure"?
Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:15:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Peter Kennedy,

Your entitlement is usually the amount that is shown on the letter you receive from the DWP advising of the new rate.

Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:37:57 GMT by Gary Coombs
The letter is not particularly helpful as it says only that the new weekly amount is £X. That still leaves everyone scratching their heads over how to calculate the annual amount to which they are entitled, as opposed to how much goes into the bank, given that their April payment will always include 1, 2 or 3 weeks at the old rate and the remainder at the new rate. It would be so easy for DWP to amend its systems to include on that letter what the person's annual entitlement will be given that they know from which payment the new rate will apply.
Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:10:59 GMT by Peter Kennedy
I'm still confused. I'm paid monthly. Should I simply declare this amount x the number of months? TIA
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 16:36:09 GMT by Harvey S
My state pension is paid every fourth Friday, in arrears. For the year ended 5 April 2023, I actually received 1 week's pension less than there were Fridays in the year. So, if I was entitled to 53 weeks (i.e. Fridays) payments of pension, but only actually received 52 weeks, do I report the 53 weeks worth of pension? I realise the position will reverse, but then possibly re-occur, for the year ending 5 April 2024 and subsequent years.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 08:17:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Harvey Sz,

Please report the payments paid.
You can change the pre-populated amount recorded on your Self Asssement tax rerurn if the amount paid differs. 

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.