Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:08:06 GMT by G
Dear sir/madam, I am writing to enquire about how I can set up as a sole trader in my self assessment. I have a personal tax account and have submitted my self assessment for the 22/23 tax year. Only in the 23/24 tax year I started working as a sole trader, so I wanted to add that into my tax account. I clicked the "business tax" tab and navigated to https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/business-account. However, I couldn't find the option for "sole trader" from the list of tax I can add, and hence selected the "other taxes of schemes" option. Then I was instructed to set up a new organisational tax account for adding the tax I was looking for. After setting up a new organisation tax account, I finally found "sole trader" from the list of tax I could add to the account. However, after entering my UTR in the organisation tax account, I was told that "You already manage your taxes, duties and schemes online" and had to re-sign in with my personal tax account; I followed the instruction and re-signed in with the account I already had and had submitted self assessment for the 22/23 tax year, yet finding myself never able to add any tax as a sole trader in my personal tax account! This loop perplexes me. Please advise how I can set up myself as a sole trader online - how can I do it with my personal tax account, as setting up an organisational tax account provided no help but mandating me to re-sign in my personal tax account? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:16:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi G

You can register online at Set up as a sole trader
If unable to register online you can download and submit a CWF1 form Registering for Self Assessment and National Insurance contributions if you are a self-employed sole trader.
You can also register over the phone 0300 200 3500 open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.