Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:08:06 GMT by G
Dear sir/madam, I am writing to enquire about how I can set up as a sole trader in my self assessment. I have a personal tax account and have submitted my self assessment for the 22/23 tax year. Only in the 23/24 tax year I started working as a sole trader, so I wanted to add that into my tax account. I clicked the "business tax" tab and navigated to https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/business-account. However, I couldn't find the option for "sole trader" from the list of tax I can add, and hence selected the "other taxes of schemes" option. Then I was instructed to set up a new organisational tax account for adding the tax I was looking for. After setting up a new organisation tax account, I finally found "sole trader" from the list of tax I could add to the account. However, after entering my UTR in the organisation tax account, I was told that "You already manage your taxes, duties and schemes online" and had to re-sign in with my personal tax account; I followed the instruction and re-signed in with the account I already had and had submitted self assessment for the 22/23 tax year, yet finding myself never able to add any tax as a sole trader in my personal tax account! This loop perplexes me. Please advise how I can set up myself as a sole trader online - how can I do it with my personal tax account, as setting up an organisational tax account provided no help but mandating me to re-sign in my personal tax account? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:16:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi G

You can register online at Set up as a sole trader
If unable to register online you can download and submit a CWF1 form Registering for Self Assessment and National Insurance contributions if you are a self-employed sole trader.
You can also register over the phone 0300 200 3500 open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 15:58:34 GMT by Kehan Li
I got the same problem - though your response did not solve the issue. Would you please advise how I can register a sole trader, given I already have UTR and Self Assessment account due to my previous full-employee job? Thanks, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 11:36:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You should be able to register for Self Employment with your existing UTR here - Check how to register for Self Assessment .
Alternatively, you can use the CWF1 form, or by contacting us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries .
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.