Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:08:23 GMT by
In maintaining less than 30 working days in the UK, I wish to book some holiday that I will spend in the UK during weekdays (classified as workdays)/ would a letter from my employer that I have booked holidays on these dates be sufficient as evidence to demonstrate that I was not working ? Also over Christmas the company is closed between Christmas and New Year. Please advise. Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:09:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi Thomas Brook
Yes this would be considered supporting evidence, which may be required in the event of an enquiry.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:46:03 GMT by Jo Evans
Hello. Please can you assist. I am applying for the DNV in Spain. I have all my paperwork together, (including my A1 certificate). I need my employers to provide me with the letter which states that my job can be done remotely, but they are reluctant to do so at the moment. This is because their accountants have advised that they need to set up a payroll in Spain in order to pay me. My understanding is that this advice is incorrect, and that my employers continue to pay me as normal until I get the NT tax code, and I will then pay tax in Spain. Am I correct? The DNV requires me to be employed by a UK company, so I am unsure where the accountants are getting their information from. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:02:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You are correct, a different payrol is not required.

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 22:40:39 GMT by
Hi HMRC, So I've been given the green light from my company to work in Spain under their 3 year digital nomad visa scheme as long as continue to be a UK tax payer. I don't see myself spending more than 4 weeks in the UK per year once I move, can I continue to fulfil this requirement? Warmest regards, Sam
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:54:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

It is your tax residence that determines if you are a tax payer and as you intend to be in the UK for only 4 weeks per year, it is unlilely you are UK resident and you therefore may want to discuss this with your employer.

Further guidance is at:

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:55:56 GMT by gregy901
Hi team, A quick question on digital nomad VISAs and UK TAX. I am going to be on a Digital Nomad Visa in Argentina from next week. The visa is a 6 Month Visa with the option to extend for an additional 6 Months (12 Months total). Am I right in saying, that I should not be paying UK TAX whilst on this Argentinian Digital Nomad Visa? For some additional information... If I do not extend after the 6 Months Visa period, I will go for an alternative South American Digital Nomad scheme (Brazil, Colombia, etc...) so I would not have lived in the UK for the whole of 2024. It would be good to get an understanding of the measures to take whilst on this Argentinian Digital Nomad Visa in regards to my UK TAX commitments. Many thanks. Greg
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:55:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi gregy901,
The new tax year commences 6 April 2024.
If you are not resident in the UK for the whole tax year 2024 to 2025, then foreign income arising in that period, is not taxable in the UK and should not be declared.
If you continue to have UK income while not resident in the UK, you may find that you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return.
You can check this here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:00:54 GMT by Geouff
Hi, My question is similar to the questions in this thread but after reading I'm still not 100% sure what is needed. I'll try and explain my situation and hopefully I can get some clarity on what is Vs is not required. I'm applying for a Spanish digital nomad visa. I'm using an agency to help with this process and have reached at point where I've been asked to compete the below form. Reading the details of the form it states the following "You can apply if the non-UK country has a social security agreement with the UK and you’re: *an employer sending employees to work temporarily" I'm trying to understand if this form is the correct form to complete as, technically, my employer is not sending me to Spain to work,they are allowing me to work from anywhere. I'm just trying to understand if this is the correct form or if the agency has the wrong form Thanks,
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 12:00:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Travel to Spain for work

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 16:57:14 GMT by MattLewisU
I am applying for the new Italian Remote worker visa and I cannot find a clear answer anywhere about tax implications. Will the tax that my UK employer pays change? What tax will I have to pay, will I still need to pay UK tax if I move to Italy under this new visa? I am desperate for some clarity over what the tax implications of this new visa are. Thanks
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:48:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

It will be the country that you are classed as tax resdient. further guidance is at:

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 13:17:51 GMT by d80gs2
In respect of the digital nomad visa for Spain, I note on the Spanish side you can ultimately utilise it for a period of 5 years. When you apply for an exemption from paying NI in Spain due to remaining on a UK payroll, the A1 is initially valid for a period of 24 years (assuming you request it for that period). It appears it can be renewed and extended presumably for a further period of times (maybe 2 years and then 1 further year to get to the 5 permitted by the DNV in Spain) by completion of a signed statement (by the employee). Is this correct - so an A1 can be extended beyond 48 months subject to agreement with HMRC - I presume the Spanish tax authorities main concern is ensuring they continue to receive the income tax from the digital nomad rather than making them move across to a Spanish payroll which may not be available.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 00:31:01 GMT by d80gs2
Apologies - I messed up defence to timescales in that above post. 24 years should read 24 months in the 2nd para! And then in the final para, the initial sentence should read "be extended beyond 24 months". Sorry for any confusion
Posted Tue, 02 Jul 2024 08:16:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi d80gs2,
We are unable to provide you an answer to your enquiry this on this forum.
You should contact the relevant HMRC department:
Individual taxes helpline 0300 200 3300
NI liability decisions you must write in to HMRC.
More information can be found on the GOV.UK - The best place to find government services and information website.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.