Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 16:34:19 GMT by kcsekcse
I was starting to do my self assessment, but I am getting an error message saying that I have foreign income when choosing which forms I need to fill in. Is there a way I can query what this foreign income is as I am not aware that I have any.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 10:04:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You may have answered yes to the question in error. Go to section 4 fill in your return and scroll down to the foreign income section and click on the first box. When in there scroll to bottom and click on delete this section. This will then allow you to change the answer at section 3 tailor your return to no.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 21:17:22 GMT by Troc wi
Hi, My self assessment section is not giving me an option to add foreign income.

Display name amended admin 
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 14:55:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
In your tax return at the file a return menu, you click on '3. Tailor your return'.  
At the bottom of page 1 of 3, there is a question 'If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section?'.  Tick yes to this and save and continue.  
In the file a return menu, click on '4. Fill in your return'.  If you scroll down the fill in your return screen, there will be a section named 'foreign'. click on this to access the foreign sections.  
If you are still having issues, you may wish to consider, scrolling down to the bottom of the screen and clicking on 'Delete your entire tax return'.
You will be asked to confirm this and the return will be deleted, allowing you to create a fresh version.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:19:34 GMT by Troc wi
Hi, I have not transferred my foreign income into the UK. Do I still need to complete the self assessment tax return? When I choose the option that I have not transferred any income into the UK, it says I am not required to fill in the foreign income section. I do not need to fill in any other section of the return either. Do I still need to submit the return? Thanks
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:41:22 GMT by Troc wi
Can I please request a reply on the above post?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:07:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

This depends on whether you are UK resident and domicled or claiming the remittance basis. You can see guidance here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:28:44 GMT by Shirley
Hi, I am a UK resident and employed in UK. When I left South Africa I left some of my pension invested in South Africa and it has now paid out. The Pension fund accumulated while I was a resident in South Africa. South Africa will therefore tax the pension payment, and it is paid into my South African Bank account. When I transfer that money into my UK bank account, do I have to complete a self assessment and declare it as foreign income and show the tax paid? Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:43:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Yes, you do. You can see guidance here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.