Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:38:18 GMT by DorotheeP
Hello I am self employed and have just opened a SIPP it is my first pension ever, I put £100 in and it says £25 tax relief which is pending it takes 8 weeks to be added. I know that when I do my tax return I have to enter the gross total for the financial year ( including tax relief and what I have added myself ) If I add money in February, March or 1st few days of April before end of tax year I will see the tax relief as pending in my account but it will not have actually been received. When I do my tax return do I include the pending tax relief or do I only include tax relief actually received as it takes 8 weeks to receive my provider states. If I do not include the pending amount do I include it when it is received the following financial year ? Thankyou I find pensions hard to understand so have only just opened one
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:51:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Please refer to guidance at :
Deemed date of contributions
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:00:24 GMT by DorotheeP
Hi It is not my own contributions I am confused about it is the added tax relief which pension scheme says takes 8 weeks to be added it is currently pending my own contribution cleared within a day. I would like to know if I contribute in february and march of a financial year as I have to wait 8 weeks for tax relief to be added do I include it on my tax return as the gross contribution when it is actually added even though it may be in the next financial year or do I include it if it is pending ? ie I add £100 in february and £100 in march I am due £50 tax relief but it is not in my account until the next financial year ( takes 8 weeks to receive from hmrc ) are my gross contributions £250 for the tax year or £200 and the £50 tax relief added when received in the next financial year Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:22:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

The added relief is treated as paid at the same time you make your own payment. Please note the added releif is only at 20%

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.