Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:40:58 GMT by Steve Lewis
My wife may need to complete self assessments for the last three years. Can this be done online? Completing tax year 2021/22 is straight forward but I can't find where to do this for earlier years. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:55:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If the returns for the earlier years have been requested, there will be an option for 'more self assessment details' or

'tax return options' which would allow you to select previous years.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:01:27 GMT by
Hi, To complete the Self-Assessment statement for 4 years on UTR in construction (CIS). What is more efficient, P85 (leave UK) or 4 Self-assistance tax returns? P85 calculates the same as self assistance HMRC? 
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:07:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Razvan
A Self-Assessment return would be required for this.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 16:49:23 GMT by Stephen Williams
Hi, I'm afraid the above answers don't address my question. I'm registed for Self-Assessment, employed (pay tax via PAYE), have submitted my return for YE 22, but also want submit returns for prior years YE 21, YE22 in order claim tax relief on pension contributions paid after tax. These years have not been requested by HMRC and thus don't appear in "Tax Return Options" or "More Self-Assessment Options". Can I submitt returns for these prior years online, or do I have to file a paper return. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 07 Feb 2023 15:40:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you contact our helpline we will be able to request the returns for the earlier years.

See Link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 08:22:36 GMT by
Hi Can an individual file self-assessment tax return for the previous 5 years along or there is any limit to file previous years tax returns. ?
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:13:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Shalinshah,

You can only file returns online for 19/20 onwards.
You will need to contact our Self Assessment department to make sure they have been requested first
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:01:56 GMT by
Hello! Hope you are well. I was wondering how would it be possible to file tax assessment for previous years (2020-2022)? I am an Self-employed with UTR since 2021, but as there was never any income more than £1000, I didn't file anything. Now I would like to file for previous years. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 10:00:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi satyri2005,

You will now need to file paper returns for those years.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 17:52:16 GMT by
hi, a few months ago I requested to register for self assessment for 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23, however I was only able to file for 20/21 and 22/23 using the online service. 21/22 does not show on the tax year overview page and I'm unable to figure out how I can file for it through the online service, could you please assist? thanks very much
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:20:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi s,
You will need to contact the Self Assessment helpline here to check if a tax return was issued for 21/22:
Self Assessment: general enquiries,
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:17:10 GMT by Adrian
Hi everyone, my accountant completed a self assessment for me for 2020/2021 and after they requested an SA101 form which we sent everything by post special delivery,how long is going to take to update? Thank you 
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:48:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Adrian,
We are currently processing requests received on 28 December 2023.
If received today 19 March the timescale for a reply is 8 June 2024.
This date is an estimate and may change.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.