Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 14:36:38 GMT by Carmenip
Hi Team, Hope you can help. I travelled with a collegue to a business trip and stayed in a hotel overnight for the next day buiness meeting which started at 8;00 in the morning, my company paid the accomodation. My question is can I claim business mileage for the following suitaion? 1. I travelled to my colleage home to pick him up to the business event (from my home to my collegaue home is 20 miles). - Can I claim this extra 20 mileage for pick him? 2 We travelled from our normal workplace direct to the hotel and stayed overnight for the next day meeting at 8:00am, Can I claim the mileage for travel to the hotel (124 miles from my workplace )? 3 Can I also claim the mileage from hotel to the business meeting venue which is 1.31 miles. many thanks Carmen
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 10:54:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please have a look at the guidance at:

When travel qualifies for tax relief (490: Chapter 2): Travel to a place where attendance is in the performance of duties

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 16:11:42 GMT by Carmenip
Hi, Thanks for the guidance. I got two more question, hope you can help. My contractual based has been closed in June last year and was in the transition of transferring to a new agreed office. during the transition I go to work in the new office once a week as part of hybrid working, Just want to check can I claim any expenses (eg mileage and lunches) when I go to work in that office during the transition? Also some of my collegue where their base has closed and they have not yet had an alternative base agreed but in the meantime are travelling to nearest alternative offices once a week, can they claim any expenses when they go to the other offices? Many thanks 

Name removed admin 
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 14:37:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Carmenip

If the office being attended is treated as a temporary office travel expenses could be allowable.
Please have a look at EIM32075 (EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace) and  EIM32085 (EIM32085 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace: example).

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.