Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:25:44 GMT by Karl Bundy
I recently commenced paid employment in The Netherlands and was surprised to discover a tax rate of 49.5%. This tax rate applies to earnings exceeding €73,000, a threshold I won't be reaching. In my upcoming self-assessment, if I include my foreign income under the Double Taxation agreement, will my tax liability be limited to the UK tax rate? Can I expect a refund from the UK for the additional tax paid in The Netherlands, which would have been the same as the tax for similar work in the UK? Or do I need to reclaim that excess tax directly from The Netherlands?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:30:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Foreign tax credit would only be given up to the amount of UK tax that would be due.
Any excess would need to be recovered from The Netherlands.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.