Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:48:31 GMT by
I have received the Hong Kong Mandatory Provident Fund (Lump Sum) payment (The Pension from my Work in Hong Kong). Do I need to complete the self assessment? I know under the Double Tax Agreement, the pension from my work in Hong Kong is not taxable in UK. So just to check whether I still need to complete the self assessment.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 10:12:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If it is not taxable in the UK, you would only need to mention it in the additional information free hand box number 19 on SA100.  
By doing so, you are still declaring your world wide income, but this is not taxable and would not be part of any tax calculations.

Thank you
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:54:58 GMT by Del
I’m looking at returning to live in the UK December this year, my only income will be a small UK private pension totalling 2,500 pound a year, I will be living on savings. In April 2025, do I need to complete a self assessment for the 2,500 pounds and any interest I’ve earned from December 2024 to 5 April 2025? Thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:05:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Del,
You will just need to write to HMRC at
H.M. Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS  
to declare the interest and advise that you have returned to the UK.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.