Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:31:23 GMT by
Hello, I am a higher tax payer enrolled into salary sacrifice through my employment. Hence, I pay monthly into pension from my salary before tax. I would like to make one-off contribution of £14,800 (from my after-tax savings) into the same salary sacrifice workplace pension scheme. The pension provider has confirmed that they will claim the basic 20% tax relief on the contribution. I have below questions for claiming the remaining 20% tax relief from HMRC 1) Can I do the 20% higher tax relief via Self-Assessment or I have t write to HMRC as the contribution about is greater than £10,000? 2) What information/detail I need to write in the letter to HMRC? Do I need to attach any documents? eg: download of contribution and 10% basic tax relief, P60, etc? 3) As mentioned, this is one-ff contribution only. This will not be happening next year. Do I need to mention that in the letter to HMRC, like 1.1 Total of any ‘one-off’ payments tax relief box in self-assessment? 4) Self Assessment can be submitted after the tax year only. Do I need to wait for the end of tax year to send letter to HMRC as well, or can I send anytime? 5) Lastly, would I get tax relief in form of cheque or adjustment to my basic rate tax band? Thanks for the help.
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:36:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you submit a Self Assessment you can claim the relief when you complete the tax return. If you are wanting to claim during the current 2023/24 tax year as the contribution is over £10,000 then you will need to send a letter and include evidence from your pension provider of payments made this tax year.
You will also need to confirm whether the amounts included are gross (before tax) or net (after tax). Send your letter to:
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.
If claimed during the tax year would receive relief through adjustment in your tax code. If claimed through Self Assessment repayment as requested on tax return.

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:02:15 GMT by SachiP
Thank You for getting back and sorry for the delay in response, but unfortunately due to technical error my account was deleted by HMRC. By Gross (before tax) mean total on my contribution (£15000) plus 20% tax relief (£3750) which is £18750? Also, can I write letter in mMarch24 for 2023/2024 tax year? Regards, Sachi
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:55:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SachiP,
Yes the gross figures is the conotribution plus 20% relief.
If you submit your letter in March for 2023/24 it will be too late to adjust your 2023/24 tax code.
If in Self Assessment you can make the claim when you submit your 2023/24 tax return. 
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:56:54 GMT by SachiP
Hi, Thanks you the reply. But on this link ( on, in the "Claiming tax relief yourself" section it is mentioned that, "If you’re paying in an amount greater than £10,000, you’ll need to contact HMRC to claim the tax relief.". Doesn't that mean I have write to HMRC and not claim via self assessment. Please note that I do not fill in self assessment. Please help me - do I write letter after 5th April 2024 to claim the money or fill in self assessment(which I haven't had to do yet) Regards, 

Name removed admin 
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 13:19:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, in this case you would write to HMRC with evidence of the payments to review. You do not need to wait for the tax year to end. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.