Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 02 Sep 2023 22:23:08 GMT by FinleyK
Hi, I am working for a company on weekdays. I get my salary every week and I have paid the tax through “Pay As You Earn”. During May to August 2023, I worked as a self-employed delivery driver for another company as a part-time job. I have earned around £770 from this delivery job. That means I was employed and self-employed at the same time during May to August 2023. In this case, do I need to register with HMRC for the self assessment? Thank you so much.
Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 15:16:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi FinleyK,

You would only need to declare the income if it was above £1,000 in the tax year se: 
 Tax-free allowances on property and trading income

Thank you
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 21:58:00 GMT by FinleyK
Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that even the annual income from my full time job which pay the tax by PAYE is around £21000, but my annual income from the self employed job is under £1000, I still don’t have to register for the self assessment? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 15:38:58 GMT by Derrenly Enn
Yes. The trading allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals, including for self-employment. You're not obliged to tell HMRC until you earn beyond £1,000, no matter how much PAYE income you have.
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 21:19:15 GMT by FinleyK
Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:36:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
That's correct

You must be signed in to post in this forum.