Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:15:40 GMT by Stevenstill79
Hi, am long term self employed in cinstruction industry with utr Have been working for a new company for a couple months, they tell me they don't need to deduct my tax as they are cis (?) and I can pay my tax myself. I don't think that is correct please put me right !
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:41:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Contractors must register for the construction industry scheme (CIS).  
Subcontractors do not have to register, but deductions are taken from their payments at a higher rate if they are not registered.  
This would suggest that the contractor should be deducting tax from your payments.  Have a look at 
Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:08:58 GMT by Stevenstill79
Hi, thanks for reply. I have already told them this information, however they insist that they know better and that I can pay my own tax, they are paying me gross. I need to make sure I am covering my obligations tax wise and as such can you tell me if I can get into any trouble because if this. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 10:55:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Stevenstill79,
You will be responsible for paying your tax yourself via Self Assessment.
You will show the income and expenses under your self employment.
Working for yourself
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.