Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:27:31 GMT by Guido
Is there any limitation imposed by the HMRC against having an LTD and any type of overseas business at the same time? I am thinking of opening a company in Italy. I already have an LTD of the same kind in the UK but it is dormant. I just need the latter to protect my IP, i.e. the name of a service, so that none registers a similar business here. The names of the two companies will be the same but followed by 'P.IVA' (in Italy) and 'LTD' (in the UK). Should I provide my services to the UK through the Italian company one day, will that clash somehow with the fact that I have an UK company and that it is dormant? And if so, it is because of they share the same name or because they share the same PSC (myself)? What would the consequences be? Should I choose another name for one of the two companies? And if so, can the names still be similar, e.g. XYZ and XYZ coaching?
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:18:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Guido,

There is no restriction in having a company of the same name incorporated and registered in Italy and the UK.
Without knowing the type of entity to be registered in Italy, I understand there is more than one type of P.IVA, it is difficult to comment further.
I would suggest that you put your query in writing, providing more details and your company's UTR.
Potentially, there are different outcomes under ITSA and CTSA in the UK.
Please write to -
Corporation Tax Services,
HM Revenue & Customs,
BX9 1AX.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 12:53:59 GMT by Guido
Many thanks.
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 13:17:32 GMT by Guido
Thanks for your reply. The entity to be registered in Italy would be a one-person-firm (p.iva) and the SIC would be the same as the LTD.
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 13:19:35 GMT by Guido
I could use another name for the Italian company and still provide my service (which has the same name as the dormant LTD). I hope that is not a problem or cause the LTD to lose its dormant status.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 09:12:17 GMT by Guido
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 09:20:43 GMT by Guido
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.