Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:50:59 GMT by Guido
I will move overseas (probably on a permanent basis). When exactly should I tell HMRC that I want to close my self-employed position: before leaving, on the day I leave, or later on once I am in the overseas country? And if the latter, how soon after leaving? Also, if I open an LTD and keep it dormant (let's call it "XYZ") and I create a website for it, I guess that as soon as I unregister myself as self-employed I will have to change my website footer (currently it is "My name and surname trading as XYZ", not to make my LTD "XYZ" lose its dormant status). Once I move to Italy, I will open a self-employment position or small company (there it is called "p. iva"). However the website will still be accessible from all over the world (including the UK). So, my question is: what should I write in the footer of the English version of the website at this point to avoid confusion? (Notice: I will still keep my LTD although I will live overseas, and it will have to stay dormant, because I need it to protect my IP name). If I write "My Name and Surname trading as XYZ p.iva" would that make the HMRC think I am still working as self-employed in the UK? And what if I keep the footer as it was (i.e. "My Name and Surname trading as XYZ")? Finally, once I close my self-employed position at the HMRC, should I erase any trace of it online? I am talking about Google Maps, social media, and other websites (including mine) where I advertise my previous services as a professional working in the UK. And if I am allowed to keep those profiles, should I change the information to reflect the current circumstances?
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:12:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Guido,

For the Self-Employment you should notify HMRC once this has ended.
Unfortunatly we can't advise you with regards the rest of your query.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.