Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:30:56 GMT by
I have been in the process of filling out the online application to move from Child Tax Credits to Universal Credit, however right at the end there is a statement that I have to look for work, meet with an advisor etc. This is not an option for me as my children are still at school (albeit 13 and 15, but I still wouldn't want to leave them on their own over every school holiday etc). I hadn't been claiming any Jobseekers credit before, only Child Tax Credits, so does the job seeking still apply? If so, I will have to not move to Universal Credit. We have some savings so it would only have been for the transition year anyway. Is there a formal way to declare that I won't be claiming UC (I haven't really the time to phone up) or do I just not apply and let the Tax Credits end. I'm not sure if letting this just happen has any other implications.
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:33:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jacqui,
Looking for work is not a requirement for tax credits, however tax credits are coming to an end and all claims for tax credits will end on 5 April 2025.
If you have been invited by letter to make a claim for Universal Credit by Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and fail to do so your tax credits will stop
sooner than 5 April 2025 and you may lose money if you do not make the transition.
From 6 April 2025 there will only be the option to claim Universal Credit.
Thank you.

Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:46:43 GMT by
Hi Yes we've been told to migrate to Universal Credit by the end of this month (February 2024). Does Universal Credit have the requirement to look for work (even if you have come from Tax Credits)? If I decide not to move to Universal Credit, would it be better to offically stop claiming Tax Credits, rather than just letting the date pass, and is there a way to do this online? Thanks
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:13:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jacqui,
The working requirements for Universal Credit is covered by the Claimant Commitment. There is guidance here-: Universal Credit and your claimant commitment
It is for you to decide on what is better for your individual financial circumstances as to whether to end the Tax Credits claim or not. You should speak with both Universal Credit and Tax Credits to consider the impacts before making a decision. 
If you want to end your Tax Credits claim, there is guidance on how to do this here-:, End your tax credits.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.