Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:01:52 GMT by Georgina
Hello I am an NHS worker (and highest earner in the family ) and my gross salary is £54,000 . I understand I therefore fit into the higher income child benefit charge, However my NHS pension contribution is approx £6364 every year which is deducted from my earnings as part of NHS pension scheme which is 11.6% of my salary amount. Is it valid to deduct this pension contribution when applying for child benefit? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 08:38:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If the pension contribution is taken from your net pay then yes this can be deducted for the adjusted net income.
If the pension contributions are taken from your salary before the tax is calculated then in this case you would not be able to deduct as relief already given at source. 
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:27:48 GMT by Georgina
Thank you. Can I also ask when applying for child benefit what year you base your salary on. For example I plan to apply from June 2024 but do I base my salary on what it will be from when I start the child benefit or the year before ? Thanks
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:02:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Your income will be based on the tax year that you receive the child benefit in.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 06:59:13 GMT by 1556849
Not sure if right page but have a question about redundancy pay and child benefit. If my redundancy pay is gross £80k but my normal salary is £40k would this impact my child benefit? Or is it not classed as a salary
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:40:49 GMT by Faiz123 Rehman
Hi i need some help i claim child benefit for my one child my basic is 30k for the year but i do plenty off overtime which could take me to 45k 50k but looking at my payslips i am looking i might be going over the threshold approximately 52k for the year , now my question is with me paying into PENSION ER about £3400 will i have to pay the charge .
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:29:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 1556849

Up to £30k of redundancy pay is tax-free. Any amount over this is classed as taxable income, and added to your Adjusted Net Income when calculating Child Benefit.
If your taxable income is over £60K in 23/24, you would be due to repay the full amount of Child Benefit received.
Other factors may affect your individual calculation, though - for more advice, contact our Child Benefit department on Child Benefit: general enquiries

Thank you

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:53:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Faiz123 Rehman,

If your pension contributions are deducted from your gross pay before tax is calculated, then relief has already been given and would not be deducted again for adjusted net income. If the pension contributions are from your net wage then you would deduct them to calculate your adjusted net income. 

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:39:23 GMT by n sal
Hello Admin If my employment income plus income from property rental and dividend income all add up to 65K in 2023/4 tax year but I also contribute 3K to a workplace pension from my NET salary ( after tax has been paid) and also make further voluntary pension contribution to a SIPP ( again from net pay) of 22K , therefore making my total pension contribution (deducted from Net pay) of 25K, would I be entitled to keeping the full child benefit without being subject to the child benefit higher income charge? Thank you
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 08:19:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi n sal,
If with your pension contributions it takes your income below the £50K threshold then you would not have a higher income child benefit charge. Details on adjusted net income here:
Personal Allowances: adjusted net income
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.