Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Refund of tax taken off Foreign divided

I just filed my 2023/24 paper tax return and following the self assessment guidance notes on foreign dividends income below the £1000 threshold, I was not required to use the Special Foreign pages. Instead I entered on page TR3 of the tax return the following: Box 6 Foreign dividend £720 ( which was from a Spanish company but there was no space on the tax return to specify the country name ) Box 7 Tax taken off ( in Spain) £90 Box 4 UK Dividends £30 As the total dividends ( Foreign & UK) add up to less than £1000, will HMRC refund back to me the £90 foreign tax already deducted in Spain against the Spanish dividend? I know there is a reciprocal tax arrangement between the UK & Spain to avoid double taxation. Thank You
  • RE: Child benefit- what type of pension is deductable

Hello Admin If my employment income plus income from property rental and dividend income all add up to 65K in 2023/4 tax year but I also contribute 3K to a workplace pension from my NET salary ( after tax has been paid) and also make further voluntary pension contribution to a SIPP ( again from net pay) of 22K , therefore making my total pension contribution (deducted from Net pay) of 25K, would I be entitled to keeping the full child benefit without being subject to the child benefit higher income charge? Thank you
  • RE: Can pension contributions reduce tax on dividend and savings income ?

Thank you HMRC Admin20 Further to this conversation subject please help by answering this hypothetical scenario for the current tax year 2023/4. If my taxable income from salary/ rental income adds up to £50,000 and I also receive £1250 from Building Society interest and £900 in dividends but I also make gross pension contributions of £10,000 then I understand that the basic rate tax band gets expanded by this £10000 contribution (to £47700 from £37,700) and therefore my total income including the savings interest and dividends (and after taking into account the personal tax allowance) will all fall within this expanded basic rate tax band. Therefore can I assume that my personal saving allowance will be £1000 rather than reduced to £500 and therefore I would only pay tax @ 20% on just the balance of £250 of interest ( £1250 minus £1000) and also I would pay no tax on the dividend because it is less than the £1000 dividend allowance for this tax year. Are the above assumptions correct? Thank you
  • RE: Reporting previous tax years capital losses

Thank for confirming my understanding. Can you please advise the full HMRC team address that I need to write to in order to record these capital losses for future offsetting against any potential future capital gains? Furthermore, is it correct that I will also need to include (again) in my letter a summary of all previously reported to HMRC ( and still unused ) capital losses reported for previous tax years? Thank you
  • RE: Reporting previous tax years capital losses

Thank you , but as the tax year is from April to April. then shouldn't the first two Return of Capital repayments made in Jan 2020 & March 2020 be allocated against the 2019/20 tax year ( i.e. ending 5th April 2020)? And similarly shouldn't the the Aug 20 & Dec 20 payments be allocated to the tax year 2020/21. Such timing argument correctly matches your third advice (that the Nov 22 payment falls in the 2022/23 year). I look forward to your clarification. Thank You
  • Reporting previous tax years capital losses

I need to report in this tax year the losses due to multiple Return Of Capital distributions over different tax years from a suspended investment fund. The popular Woodford Equity Income Fund was suspended on 3 June 2019 and In October 2019 the winding down of the fund assets started. Since then a total of five "Return Of Capital" distributions were made to affected investors in the fund on the following dates: 30 Jan 2020 25 Mar 2020 26 Aug 2020 11 Dec 2020 11 Nov 2022 Each distribution triggered a capital loss which I need to report to HMRC (in this tax year to remain within the 4 year reporting window since the 2019/20 year when the fund was first frozen and its winding down started). Please advise in which tax years would each of the capital losses , that resulted form the distributions listed above, be considered to have taken place. Thank You
  • Can pension contributions reduce tax on dividend and savings income ?

If the gross income including savings and dividend income exceeds the basic tax rate threshold ( £50270) but sufficient gross pension contributions ( that enlarge the basic rate tax band by the same amount) are then paid in that year to ensure that the entire gross income is kept within the expanded basic rate tax band, then: 1 ) will the Personal Saving Allowance PSA be preserved at £1000 ( instead of normally dropping to £500 for higher rate tax payers) and will any remaining savings above that PSA be then taxed at the basic rate instead of the higher rate? 2) will the dividend income above the £2000 dividend allowance be taxed at the basic rate ( 8.75%) instead of the higher rate?