Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 08:24:45 GMT by jictink
I’m completing my Self Assessment for 2023/24 and noticed that the amount for my State Pension has been pre-populated with the figure of 52 times my weekly state pension amount. I understand that the tax due is based on when I became entitled to receive a payment as opposed to when I did receive it. However that 52 times the weekly rate figure is wrong as I actually would be entitled to 1 week of the old rate and 51 weeks of the new rate which is the figure correctly used for my Tax Code. So am I expected to amend that to the correct figure and if so why is the correct figure not being pre-populated? Also last tax year happened to be a 53 week payment year for me so should I amend it and state that as the reason for doing so?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 14:41:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

While we receive your state pension figure directly from the Department for Work and Pensions, if the amount you received in the year you're filing for was different, please enter that amount.
You may wish to contact the DWP to confirm this amount.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 15:32:40 GMT by jictink
Thank you for your reply but I'm not quite sure I understand. First of all what I received during the year in state pension is not the same as my entitlement for the year. I am ware that for income tax purposes, the state pension is treated differently from other income where the date of receipt is what matters. With the state pension it's the date of entitlement which matters. In my case my first entitlement in the 2023/24 tax year was on the 6th April 2023 with the final entitlement on the 4th April 2024. This meant 53 weeks of entitlement. This is different to my actual payments as I'm paid 4 weekly with the last one being in the 2024/25 tax year. As to asking the DWP to confirm the amount of payment, all that they will confirm is that I am entitled to receive £xxx.xx per week. They will not give me a figure for a full tax year's entitlement. So basically the advice is to change my SA each time and supply what I know to be the correct figures even though every year it's entered incorrectly?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 05:58:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jictink,
Apologies for any confusion.
If the amount of State Pension pre-populated on your tax return does not match the figure that you have calculated that you received.
Update your return with the figure that you have calculated that you have received.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 19:01:19 GMT by Gary C
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.