Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 14:53:24 GMT by Helen Stephens
Hi, My understanding is that VAT for intermediary services for financial products and Insurance is exempt, i.e. for commission received via a network. However, is this still the case if the Financial/Insurance Advisor invoices the client directly to cover the balance between the commission received and their minimum fee level (this would ensure that all costs are covered in providing the services)? I had viewed HMRC VATINS5311 and my interpretation was that this is also VAT exempt. Please could you advise? With many thanks
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 12:08:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response

Hi
Hi. The guidance states that the intermediary can receive remuneration in form of commissions and also fees from client. 
Where Remuneration for intermediary services brings together parties to an exempt insurance contract this may be treated as VAT exempt. 
If the fees or commission are for advice only services these are always taxable. 
If you believe there is uncertainty in how your situation applies to the published guidance, please review the guidance on applying for a clearance  Find out about the Non-Statutory Clearance Service.
Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.