Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 10:59:51 GMT by Patrycja
The LTD company only sells services exempt from UK VAT (financial services) but has exceeded the registration threshold because the company has a large number of reverse charge purchase invoices. In this case, if all sales are exempt from UK VAT, should the company register for UK VAT? Thank you in advance
Posted Wed, 02 Oct 2024 11:59:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Yes you would need to register please refer to section 5.7

Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 03 Oct 2024 10:29:51 GMT by Patrycja
Hi, Thank you for your answer. However, on the website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-7001-should-i-be-registered-for-vat/vat-notice-7001-should-i-be-registered-for-vat#basic-principles In 2.6 I see that "If all your supplies are exempt, you will not be able to register for VAT." Should the company still register for VAT GB?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2024 14:19:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Although all of your supplies are exempt there will still be a requirment to register for VAT in the UK if the reverse charges go over the VAT Registration threshold.
The guidance states:
If you belong in the UK but are not already UK VAT registered and you receive supplies of B2B general rule services from overseas suppliers (that are treated as supplied where the recipient belongs), the value of those supplies must be added to the value of your own taxable supplies when determining whether you should be registered for UK VAT. Even if you make no taxable supplies yourself you may still be required to register if the value of general rule services received from overseas suppliers exceeds the registration thresholds.
Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 10:50:20 GMT by Patrycja
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.