Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Tax due to HMRC shown as negative when trying to run payroll

    This maybe because your tax code is cumulative (if it does not have either M1 or W1 then it is cumulative) and that in this pay period you are actually due a tax refund from previous amounts paid. If you are generally paid £1k a month and have the standard tax code of 1257L then you would not expect to pay tax, but say in month 6 you were paid a bonus of £5k you would have been deducted tax, but the following months would then reduce your annual tax allowance thus giving a refund until the annual amounts in month 12 all balance. You can use the HMRC tax calculator if you are unsure You will need your year to date figures from your previous payslips.
  • RE: Employment Allowance

    You must submit an EPS every month even if the values are nil. Should you be entitled to Employment Allowance you will reduce your liability once it starts up to £5k
  • RE: New employee with no New Starter Declaration or P45

    The RTI only accepts A,B or C. If you dont tick anything it should default to C, and you should then put the employee on 0T if they have not ticked a box on the form. Some software will put in a box D, but this is just for the 'user experience' and still reports C to HMRC - it cannot be left blank or it will fail the whole RTI submission
  • RE: Split Year

    Your tax code is a cumulative code throughout the tax year that starts on 5th April each year. You cannot split the tax code between different tax years. You can call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 to clarify this
  • RE: Payment to deceased employees family

    If it is a death in service benefit you can make this payment via the payroll software as a payment after leaving and it may be tax free / allowed to use the old tax code (any payments due to the beneficiaries' that are related to the deceased persons earnings have no NI liability - change this to category X). More information can be found:,out%20their%20final%20pension%20payment. You can make payments for monies owed using the employee's details, and ask the payroll provider to update the bank details to that of the wife (they can do this). If the wife is not an employee steer clear as making her so to make this payment.
  • RE: Payment due but not made- payroll/ PAYE queries

    The FPS should just have what has been paid that period. If you have used a payroll element to bring the gross pay to zero then there would be noting to report. When you do make this payment that is the point to which you should calculate tax and NI due and report the payment. Don't forget to take into account NMW - if that person has worked hours yet you pay £0 you could be risking breaching NMW
  • RE: Back dated pay rise

    This will be down to employment law and any contractual obligations. If it is not settled in a timely manner they could claim for unlawful deduction of wages or breach of contract so you should get employment law advise
  • RE: Repayment of Contractual Maternity Pay

    You will need to repay the gross amount, and then your employer will work out any tax due if you are still employed by them - if it is a different tax year, or you have left you may have to claim this back yourself. It is classed as an overpayment of wages so they have to follow HMRC rules on this and what to report. There is no legal requirement for them to ask for the the net pay, and they cannot claim your tax refund on your behalf
  • RE: PAYE reference - changing payroll provider

    @HMRC, many of our clients have reported issues once they have submitted the FPS for the 1st time on the new software resulting in their employees having UC stopped. There seems to be a glitch on the HMRC system that allocates YTD figures to current month pay (FPS is confirmed correct). Their current reply is that the employer needs to ring the helpline (and wait hours) for each case to be corrected manually. As you can imagine from a employer such as a care provider with potentially hundred PAYE references this is not feasible, and leaving vulnerable employees out of pocket is causing an undue amount of stress. The RTI-Data-Item-guide 23-24 clearly states 'The duplicate records will require action by HMRC to correct these as this is not an automatic process. Until this takes place, the employees Personal Tax Account will show 2 records for the same employer, which may prompt contact to the employer and/or HMRC. This scenario can also occur when updating existing employee details onto a new payroll software package.' But not that HMRC systems are adding YTD figures to current month pay. Will you issue a guide to software providers so that they can try and support new clients, as the advise above is misguided to this known issue