Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Cash gift from Hong Kong

    Hi My daughter living in Hong Kong has deposited HKD 8,888 in my HK bank account as my birthday gift. I may transfer this money to my UK bank account. Do I need to declare and pay tax for the money ? If so, what should I do ? Thank you for your kind attention.
  • Foreign Tax Refund

    Hi, I moved to UK on 27/1/2023. Before moving, I lived and worked in Hong Kong. I stopped working in Hong Kong on 1/1/2023 and have fully paid the salary tax for the year 2022-2023 to Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department. But last month, the HK Inland Revenue Department notified me that there was a revised assessment and refund of tax for 2022-2023. I have received a refund cheque for HKD 6,000. I would like to know if I need to declare this amount of refund to HMRC. If so, what should I do? Your advice and help are much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Class 1 employer NI for overseas employer

    Hello, I am employed by a company in Hong Kong. I am working from home (in the UK) for this overseas employer. The employer has no presence in the UK and any EC member state. I understand that I shall file my tax using self-assessment. I have questions for National Insurance. 1. For class 1 employee NI, do I need to pay NI contribution by myself ? 2. Is my employer in Hong Kong liable for class 1 employer NI ? Thank you.