Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Re:VAT Written Enquiries time to get a reply


    This forum is intended for general or brief questions.

    Please submit your detailed enquiry to the VAT Written Enquiries Team, using the ‘Make a VAT enquiry online’ link.

    You can contact our VAT helpline by phone or via webchat to confirm we have received your enquiry:

    VAT: general enquiries


  • RE: Holiday let

    Hi bibicoast

    Thank you for your question.

    Please refer to the guidance held at :

    HS253 Furnished holiday lettings (2020)

    in repect of your property .

    You are entitled to claim expenses in respect of a FHL for the period of time the property is let out holidaymakers and guests.

    Please remember that this does not include times when your family or friends stay at the property.

    You can also only claim expenses that are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business.

    You can claim for such things as utility bills, insurance costs in respect of the FHL and you can also claim for broadband costs.

    You will need to apportion any expenses you have incurred on your property to ensure that you only claim the actual expenses that relate to the FHL.

  • Re: National insurance


    Depending on the individual circumstances, would depend how we would be able to fully advise you.

    If Child benefit has ever been claimed for your son, he may already have a National Insurance Number – this would be the only scenario where HMRC could give you advice.

    If you haven’t tried already you could contact our helpline or webchat service for a trace,information can be found here:

    National Insurance numbers

    However, if there is no trace and your son has never been allocated a National Insurance number, it would not be HMRC who would do this.

    There is further information here:

    Apply for a National Insurance number

    about applying for a National Insurance number.

    Any further queries about this would have to be directed to DWP or the Student Loan Service.



  • Re: National Insurance did NOT arrive.


    HMRC does not deal with national insurance number registrations.


  • Re: Access to Gateway for non residents

    Good Afternoon ,  

    You can leave this box blank if you do not have a UK post code. 

    It will ask for the UTR (Unique taxpayer refernce) and one of the following 3:

    NINO ( national insurance number)

    UK postcode

    Or  if you live abroad .



  • Re: Gateway Issue

    Good afternoon

    What service are you trying to access,

    e.g. PTA , SA, claim SEISS?

    There are different scenarios.

    You could also try GOV.UK Verify .



  • RE: Employee on furlough has resigned

    Hi Ian

    Thank you for your query about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS).

    The objective of the CJRS is to help employers whose operations have been severely affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) to retain their employees and protect the UK economy.

    Any grant paid must be used to pay wages to furloughed employees and should be treated in the same way as any wage payment and is subject to all payroll deductions.

    For claim periods starting on or after 1 December 2020, employers cannot claim for any days on or after 1 December 2020 during which the furloughed employee was serving a contractual or statutory notice period for the employer (this includes people serving notice of retirement or resignation).

    Further information on payment for notice periods can be found at:

    Handing in your notice


    We understand that this has been a very difficult time for many people.

    Further information about additional support available can be found online at:

    Work and financial support

    I hope you find this reply helpful.


  • Re: CIS Domestic Reverse Charge Advice


    Please refer to section 9 of the VAT reverse charge technical guide for guidance on the transitional arrangements in place for authenticated tax receipts or self-billed invoices:

    How to account for the reverse charge

    Please also refer to section 7 for guidance on how to treat supplies that are subject to the reverse charge and normal VAT charging:

    How to account for the reverse charge


  • Re: Pensions and Salary from Hong Kong


    You are correct.

    The Hong Kong pension is only taxable in Hong Kong, see Article 17 of the Double Taxation Agreement:


    as well as DT9207 you found. 

    Your last months salary from the Hong Kong employer will be due to your services prior to arriving in UK so will not be taxable in UK.


  • RE: Threatening phone call regarding tax fraud


    Please refer to guidance in this thread about how to report scam emails/phone calls to HMRC.