Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self assessment BNO self employed in Hong Kong

Hi HMRC, Thank you for the above. I would like to claim remittance basis and am not sure if I am filling in the SAR correctly. 1.do i just tick i am claiming remittance basis and need not fill in box 34 (i am not / have not remitted any monies) 2.do i need to fill in any other pages of the SAR for example the self employment page (self employed, provided consultancy services to company in HK, work done while i was in the UK, monies paid into bank account in HK) 3.are you able to confirm there should be no tax payable Thank you

Hi HMRC, Thank you for the above. On the residence section, as i was a UK resident the last 2 years only, do i just tick i am claiming remittance basis and i need not fill in box 34? Also, do i need to fill in any other pages of the SAR for example the self employment page? Lastly, are you able to confirm there should be no tax payable? Thank you

Hello. I am a non domiciled UK resident. I am self-employed and provided consultancy services to a company in Hong Kong during the tax year 2023/24. The work was done while I was in the UK. The monies that I received were credited into a bank account in Hong Kong and I have not / do not intend to remit it to the UK. I am eligible and would like to claim remittance basis. I have no other income. Can you please advise if i need to file a SAR for 2023/24?
  • RE: Remote consultancy paid in Euros = "foreign income"

Thank you for the above. Please could you advise whether my self employment work is UK income (as the work was performed here) or foreign income (as the services were provided to a HK company)?
  • RE: Remote consultancy paid in Euros = "foreign income"

Hi HMRC, I am a non domiciled UK resident. I am self employed and provide consultancy services to a company in HK. The work was all done in the UK and the monies banked into my bank account in HK. I do not intend to remit the money to the UK. Can you please advise as the self employment work was done wholly in the UK - Am I eligible to claim remittance basis or do i have to pay tax in the UK? I checked the HK UK DTA but it only mention income from employment and not self employment. Thank you
  • RE: Remote working for Hong Kong company while living in UK

Hi HMRC, Thank you for the helpsheet. I moved from HK a year ago and am UK resident. I continued to have a contract with a HK employer and the work was done when i was in the UK. Can you please confirm my understanding the remittance basis is not available to me as the work was performed when i was in the uk (even though the employer is in HK and salaries paid into a HK bank account)? Thank you Thank you
  • RE: CGT-Selling sole residence located oversea

Hi HMRC, I sold my main residence in HK before I came to the UK, the proceeds which are in a bank in HK. I am now a UK resident. I would like to transfer some of these monies here to buy a house. Are the monies remitted taxable or it is not as it is regarded as capital? Thank you
  • RE: Remote working for Hong Kong company while living in UK

Hi HMRC, Can you please advise in a situation where working remotely in the UK for HK company, UK resident (and non-domicile) for the tax year, salaries paid into HK bank account which are not remitted to the UK. Am I required to declare this on the SAR and pay UK tax even though the monies remain in HK? Is it because the duties were performed in the UK? If yes, does that mean I can transfer the monies to the UK in future without further tax implications as I have already paid tax on them? Thank you