Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Jan 2023 12:37:44 GMT by Jessica
I currently work for a UK university full time and pay tax by PAYE. I am UK resident. From time to time I review research grants for European agencies and get paid in Euros. It is stipulated by these agencies that doing so does not make me an employee, so presumably I am doing it by self employment. Do I need to declare this income via self assessment and should I do so as "foreign income" or something else?
Posted Mon, 09 Jan 2023 11:48:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

This is foreign income and meets the criteria for completing a Self Assessment tax return. You can register for a tax return here:

Register for Self Assessment

You would need to convert from euros to sterling, using the official exhange rates, which can be found here:

Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format

You would complete the self employment supplementary page SA103 and if you paid foreign tax, you would also complete the section 'Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income' on the foreign supplementary page SA106, as well as claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.