Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 08:36:00 GMT by ST S
I and my family came to the UK under BNO visa programme on 14/08/2022. We don't have any connections with the UK before that. We stayed in a hotel until moving to our new home on 03/09/2022, which, the tenancy agreement was made on 02/09/2022. I have been a self-employed in Hong Kong sine 2001 and the business is still continued. I wanted to file my Self Assessment tax return online so a registration application had been submitted to HMRC before 05/10/2023. I am now still waiting for the reply. At the moment, I would like to clarify the following situations. 1. I am self-employed even the business is in Hong Kong, right? 2. I want to apply for split year treatment. Am I belong to Case 4 or Case 8? Counting from 03/09/2022? 3. Do I have to submit my tax return before 31/10/2023 if I apply for split year treatment? Or I still can do online until 31/01/2024? Thank you very much!
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:55:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You overseas self employment will be considered as self employed and should be declared on a self assessment tax return.  
I regret that we cannot advise whether you meet the criterial of case 4 or case 8.  
The accommodation tie would commence from 3 September 22, as that is the first date you stayed in your home.  
You will need to submit a 2022 to 2023 tax return, as you are self employed and want to claim split year treatment.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:42:49 GMT by ST S
Thank you very much for your reply. By the way, I submitted my registration application on 26/09/2023. Today (02/12/2023) I am still waiting for the reply from HMRC. I want to complete my tax assessment asap, what can I do?
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 08:16:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ST S,
We are unable to review personal matters in this forum.
For an answer to a personal question of this nature, you would need to contact our Self Assesment helpline on 0300 200 3310 or contact our webchat facility here:
Contact HMRC
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.