Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:19:08 GMT by edltw
I was not the UK resident and have received few months rental income in the tax year of 2022/2023. And I have just landed in UK May 2023. For tax filing of 2022/2023, should I still apply as non resident landlord? Then I apply for UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) after applying for non resident landlord? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:16:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tao Wai Lee,
When you apply for Non Resident Landlord this will then set up a Self Assessment record for you and allocate the UTR.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 09:07:25 GMT by edltw
Hi, I just applied for self assessment and am waiting for UTR. Then I still can apply for Non Resident Landlord after receiving UTR number? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:02:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, you can for the non resident landlord scheme if you have a UTR. 

If you have more specific queries you can contact the Non-residents Landlord tean:

Non-UK resident landlords

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 21:47:18 GMT by edltw
Hi, There is an question when I fill the form for non-UK resident landlord: "Date you plan to leave the UK For example 20/03/2016. Send this form to us when you are within 3 months of leaving the UK." Currently I am living in UK but I did NOT live in UK for the year 2022/2023. I do not have plan to leave the UK this year. So what date I should fill in? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:01:57 GMT by Maobe Tabby
Hi HMRC, I have applied for the NRLS on 19 June 2023 online and I have already got my UTR. When will the approval be made in this time of year? And when should I call them up if I don't receive any after 15 days? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 09:55:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Maobe Tabby,

As a UTR has been issued you should phone the NRL Helpline to see if your application has been dealt with.
Non-UK resident landlords

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 10:50:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi edltw
This question is not for this forum.
Please contact Non Resident landlords  help line  on  03003229433 (+443003229433 from overseas) they will be able to advise you.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:42:11 GMT by njt1
Hi HMRC, Myself and my wife have been paying our rental income tax by SA for a few years. We have a declaration of trust in place, so only a few hundred comes to my way every year. Do I need to continue with SA or not? I believe rental income less than 1000 GBP/yr makes me this correct? Finally, we have just moved abroad to live for the foreseeable future. We must register as non-resident landlords - do we both need to do this or will my wife alone be sufficient, as this is where most of the proceeds go? Please advise us, Thank you, 

Name removed admin 
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:25:58 GMT by David Barrington
Hello Ive applied for NRL online through my SA account and have been a NRL in the past. My SA account states that the application has been completed. How will my agent and I be informed of my NRL Reference number? Do we each get a hardcopy letter in the post?
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:14:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi David Barrington,
Unfortunately, questions relating the NRL scheme are not for this forum.
Please contact NRL team 03003229433 or +443003229433 from outside the uk who will be able to assist further.
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:46:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi njt1,

As you are now going abroad to live we would suggest that you contact our Non Resident Landlord team as there may be issues involved and they would be best placed to advise.

Non-UK resident landlords   

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.