Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:42:52 GMT by
My mother in law requested a full national insurance schedule as she is not receiving a full state pension but she believed she worked and paid enough NI contributions to qualify. She was born in 1944. The National Insurance schedule she was sent shows no contributions at all between 1978 - 1988 and during this period she was claiming child benefit as she had 2 children under 16. My mother in law then applied to have Home responsibilities protection added to her National insurance record and they have written back to her saying that she had Home respsonibilities protection on her Nation Insurance record for the years 1978 - 1988. There is however nothing at all showing on the schedule they originally sent her. Where do we go from here?
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:36:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi cooprinal,

For the period that you’ve advised that your mother-in-law was in receipt of Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP) I can advise that credits were not recorded on National Insurance accounts.  Rather than receive credits, what happens is that for each full tax year of HRP received this reduces the number of years she needs to obtain a pension.  
As you’ve advised that you have a letter to confirm that HRP is recorded on her National Insurance account, The Pension Service should have taken this into account when calculating her pension entitlement.
You may wish to call The Pension Service on 0800 731 0469 and they will be able to confirm her HRP position and how they’ve calculated her pension entitlement.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 23:17:29 GMT by
I have asked for the care of my grandchild to be taken into account for 4 years when I had retired early. My daughter and I completed the forms last October but have heard nothing. Not even sure if you have received them and whether we should re submit. I am now in receipt of a much depleted pension and want to know when I will receive some response.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:49:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi sheila Andrews,
The department who will process your application are currently working on applications received on 8 May 2023.
The forms are processed in date order and you will receive a response in writing.
You can contact the National Insurance helpline to check if your application has been received.
The contact number is 0300 200 3500, lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 14:31:09 GMT by Rama Bowley
In response to the above answer: "Rather than receive credits, what happens is that for each full tax year of HRP received this reduces the number of years she needs to obtain a pension. " How many years are reduced for each full year of HRP? Thanks
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 10:34:00 GMT by MARK HARTNELL
My wife has been granted HRP up to the 16th birthday of our daughter. However we also had a son and the child benefit continued for a further 10 years for him alone. She has been denied the HRP for these years and been referred to the Child Benefit office who advise they can not confirm if child benefit was paid as their records only go back 7 years. The NI office also have no note of what Child Benefit was paid. This poses two questions: 1. How did those assessing the first HRP know my wife received Child Benefit for our daughter if there are no records? 2. How do we prove we received Child Benefit for our son from 1978 until 1996?
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:16:26 GMT by alig6 Graham
Completing a n HRP claim form for my 81 year old mum at the moment. Stuck on 1 question re date when her child benefit was first paid. As she can only claim from 1978 onwards and had 3 children, how can she give the exact date the first payment was made as I believe Child Benefit was phased in from 1977 onwards? the question asked for the specific day/date /year of her first payment. Where is this information obtained as I cannot submit the claim form with it missing. Thank you
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 15:12:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Rama Bowley,

For each full year of HRP received then this will reduce the number of years required to receive a State Pension by one year.  

The Pension Service will be able to confirm whether they have included HRP in the pension calculation.

Contact the Pension Service

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:33:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi alig6 Graham,
Documentation for Child Benefit if it has been retained can be used to complete the date or when the payments will have commenced from when HRP came in from at least 06/04/1978.
If you think you received the payments, please put the date that applies on the form.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:44:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MARK HARTNELL,
If your wife has been refused HRP the letter had a mandatory reconsideration option to reply within 30 days.
If you have any supporting evidence of child benefit payments made for the period in question please ensure that documentation is sent into HMRC.
Thank you.

Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 15:23:48 GMT by Andrew Barnes
My 3 children were born in 1985, 1987 & 1989. I met my current wife in 1991 and she moved in with me in 1992 caring for my children full time while I continued working full time. The child benefit was in my name and we decided to leave it like that through the duration of them growing up. My wife reached state pension age in May 2006. Can you please tell me why reaching state pension age in 2006 prevents her from claiming HRP as she cared full time for my children throughout the qualifying years?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 20:01:30 GMT by Asif S
My mother was granted HRP on 16 February 2024, we are still waiting for the Pension service to look into her state pension to see if it needs recalculated and any arrears of payment due, when will this happen? Is this automatic as we haven’t contacted pension service, we assumed it will be automatically done
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 08:25:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact the Pension Service for advice.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2024 08:41:19 GMT by Andrew Barnes
Hi, Is there a member of HMRC Admin that can answer my question posted 3 days ago please? That is :- My 3 children were born in 1985, 1987 & 1989. I met my current wife in 1991 and she moved in with me in 1992 caring for my children full time while I continued working full time. The child benefit was in my name and we decided to leave it like that through the duration of them growing up. My wife reached state pension age in May 2006. Can you please tell me why reaching state pension age in 2006 prevents her from claiming HRP as she cared full time for my children throughout the qualifying years?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 08:54:51 GMT by Asif S
My mother was granted HRP on 16 February 2024, we are still waiting for the Pension service to look into her state pension to see if it needs recalculated and any arrears of payment due. I called the Pension Service and they stated HMRC has not given the relevant information to them. My mother is 87 years of age and she should be dealt as priority.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 10:26:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Only the child benefit recipient would have been awarded Home responsibilities protection.
It is however possible to transfer Home Responsibilities Protection between spouses, if you wish to apply to transfer the HRP from yourself to your wife you must fill in a CF411 application form.
Reaching state pension age in 2006 does not prevent your wife from applying for a transfer of HRP.
Please find the link to the form below. 
Apply for Home Responsibilities Protection 
Thank you
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 09:20:59 GMT by Anthony
It has been confirmed i have 16 years HRP from when i looked after my daughters. Will this count for Additional State Pension(SERPS)?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 13:44:51 GMT by Anthony
I have now had confirmation that I have 16 yrs HRP- does this also contribute to Additional State Pension(SERPS)?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 15:26:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Asif S,
In order for us to check what the situation is with your mothers Home Responsibilities Protection claim, please contact our customer helpline.
Please find the contact details in the link below.
National Insurance Enquiries helpline
Lines are open Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 11:01:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Anthony,
To check your State Pension entitlement, may I ask that you apply for a State Pension Forecast which will detail your current and future entitlement.  
You may obtain this via:  Check your State Pension forecast
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.