Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2024 02:29:24 GMT by Hasnain Syed
Hi, I am a British citizen living abroad now and am eligible (letter received from HMRC) to pay class 2 NI contributions. I have made two payments to HMRC using the reference code of £ 163.80 for 2022-2023 and £ 179.40 on 16 May 2024 but both the payments are not updated on my HMRC profile yet. Can the admin please update by when can I expect the contributions to be updated?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 16:26:38 GMT by EllieMay24 Douglas
I am in the same situation. I paid voluntary Class 2 NI contributions since moving abroad in 2018. My record shows 2024 as full, but the previous three years as not full. When can I expect the record to be updated. (All contributions have been paid.) Calling is impractical due to the time difference. Is there a way to contact someone via email?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 07:30:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Hasnain Syed,
Thank you for your query,
The timescale for a Class 2 payment to be allocated to your record depends on whether you were paying off years you were outside or inside the UK. If you were paying off years you were inside the UK, it should not take at the very longest 24 weeks for the contributions to start reflecting on your record. If you were paying off years you were outside the UK and living in an EU country it could take at the very longest 38 weeks and if you were living in a None EU country 16 weeks. However if you are within 6 months of state pension age or have made the payment for a benefit purpose then your payment would be treat as a priority. If you want to progress chase your payments, please contact us on the details below:
National Insurance Enquiries helpline
Number: 0300 200 3500
Text Relay: 18001 0300 200 3500
(Text Relay)Overseas +44 191 203 7010
Open: Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Web Address: www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:54:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi EllieMay24 Douglas,
It may take up to 6 weeks for a payment of voluntary contributions to be reflected on your National Insurance account.
If it’s been more than 6 weeks, we would have suggested you call the National Insurance Helpline, but you have advised that you are not able to.
The only other way is to write to us at the following address:-
HM Revenue & Customs
PT Operations North East England
BX9 1AN
United Kingdom.
Thank you 

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 06:39:42 GMT by sultana
Dear HMRC, I am in a similar situation to EllieMay and Hasnain. I am in the UK and I applied to pay for Class 2 contributions retrospectively in early July 2024 for period working in Qatar between 2019-2021. I paid up using the 18-digit reference no. starting "1133..." the HMRC representative gave me. I also paid voluntary contributions for 2022-2024 whilst temporarily employed in UK (18-digit reference starting 6099). I've been checking my HMRC app, but it hasn't been updated- it's now more than six weeks since I made these payments. I would have expected these voluntary payments to be shown by now. Can you advise?
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 09:06:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi sultana,
Please contact the National Insurance helpline to check if your payments have been received, and to check the progress of when your payments will be allocated.
The contact number for the helpline is 0300 200 3500. Lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can use the webchat facility which can be found here –
National Insurance: general enquiries - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) Please choose the option ‘Ask HMRC online’. 
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 17:13:54 GMT by Kym Bigwood
Dear HMRC, I'm in a similar position. I paid voluntary Class 2 NI with my SA in July 2023 and my NI record for 2022-23 is still showing as not full, checking account. It was my final year before receiving my State Pension. Now receiving my SP but believe underpaid £5pw due to this missing NI year. Tried ringing NI helpline a couple of times, told when review completed my pension will be adjusted. Written to Pensions Service twice and received no reply, 2nd letter was a signed for delivery. How do I escalate this to get my NI account reviewed and updated? TY
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 14:03:05 GMT by Hasnain Syed
So I contacted HMRC today for payment made on 16 May (NI Class 2 contribution). They confirmed receiving the payment and have given an approximate date of 8 Dec 2024 (could be delayed) as amounts are credited as received on first come basis. Waiting time is approximately 27 weeks these days.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 13:20:44 GMT by MarkS
I live in Australia and have paid for two years. One was in response to the bill sent by HMRC and was credited within a week! The second payment I made has still not been credited after 12 weeks. HMRC inform me that it could be January next year before this is credited as they are still processing payments that people made in February 2024!! It’s very inconsistent and inconvenient. These are our pensions we’re dealing with and it’s not right that it should take this long.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 09:20:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Kym,
Unfortunately this is a known error and we will need to take action to update your National Insurance (NI) account, please contact the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.