Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2024 18:31:12 GMT by sksksk
Hi, I have sent the CF83 form and got told that I can pay Class 2 contributions for 3 years I worked abroad. What is not clear to me is how to actually pay them. The letter from HMRC says "we've accepted you application to pay voluntary NIC class 2 by annual payment" It then gives instruction how to pay if I am abroad, but I cannot see how to pay from the UK. If relevant, I fill the self-assessment every year. I see some people send the cheque by post, but I am not sure I have the right reference number. I have the 12 letter code associated with my CF83. and the letter from HMRC has a reference number starting from DMS-REF-... Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 09:53:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi sksksk
If you’d like to pay the voluntary National Insurance contributions for the period that you were overseas, then our bank details are:
-    Sort code 08-32-20
-    Account number 12001004
-    Account name HMRC NIC Receipts
For the reference number you would use your National Insurance Number followed by the initials IC
hen your surname and initial.
For example if your name is Anne Jones the reference number would be:  QQ123456AICJONESA
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 11:39:29 GMT by SeamusD
Hi HMRC Admin The GOV.UK advice, for paying Voluntary Class 3 online at: https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance/make-an-online-or-telephone-bank-transfer is not as comprehensive as that for paying Voluntary Class 2 online at: https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/make-online-telephone-bank-transfer "The reference number to use from a UK bank account depends on if you: live and work in the UK live abroad live in the UK but are paying for a period when you worked abroad" is not included in the Class 3 advice I live abroad, and want to pay voluntary class 3 from a UK sterling acc, located in London. Do I use A) sort code - 08 32 20 account number - 12001004, and 18 digit reference number as per class 3 advice? OR B) sort code as above but with reference "National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial" as per class 2 advice? Is method A) faster than method B)? Many Thanks
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2024 08:51:10 GMT by Spanish
I am entitled to a tax rebate for emergency tax paid on a pension taken , would I be able to use this to pay for voluntary national contributions? (Live in Spain)
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2024 15:25:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
If you have been approved to pay voluntary national insurance and received confirmation that the tax years will enhance your state pension, please see the banking details to be used below for your scenario.
Class 2/3 for a period outside of the UK paying from a UK bank account still held.
BACS/CHAPS – Sort code 08-32-20 account number 12001004 as you have detailed in your message and is listed in the gov.uk link provided.
The reference to be used is: Your NINO followed by ‘IC’; your surname then initial.
If you are limited to a certain number of characters in your surname, use NINO followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible for the 18 digits.
As you are voluntarily paying for tax years outside of the UK, you must use the 18-digit reference with IC so we are aware the money relates to overseas tax years.
For any problems, please call the overseas national insurance helpline – 03000 200 3500
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 10:38:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Spanish,
You would need to contact the tax office to ask them if it is possible for them to transfer the tax refund to your National Insurance records.
Then you would need to advise the National Insurance contributions office, which tax years you want the payment to be allocated to.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 10:34:05 GMT by sksksk
Hi, I have just tried to do the bank transfer as suggested by HMRC Admin 25, but my problem is that my NI number + "IC" + LASTNAME + Initial is 19 letters, while the maximum reference length is 18 characters. What should I do then ? Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.