Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 14:01:30 GMT by
I am filling out CF83 with the intention to obtain class 2 contribution payments. I live in the US. The problem is I left the UK in 2007; I dont remember the exact date of when I left, I remember the month. I also worked for an employment agency prior to leaving and they don't seem to exist anymore. I do not have the exact date of when I finished work. I did not keep my p60. Should I estimate and provide a letter stating as such? Finally, for my work in the US, do I just list my current position or do I need to list all positions going back to 2007?
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 13:49:34 GMT by
Please can someone respond: 1. Do you need a complete work history for the last 17 years I have been out of the UK? 2. Do you need exact dates of when I left the UK? 3. Do you need an exact date of my last UK job? I did not keep my p60 so I have no idea? The company no longer exists.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 19:22:48 GMT by Gary C
As a slight aside, have you looked at the US Windfall Elimination Provisions? Under certain circumstances, I think they can result in US pension benefits being reduced because a person has pension income from overseas. This could undo some of the benefit you would otherwise foresee from increasing your UK state pension by paying voluntary NI. Worth researching before you commit to paying UK NI.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 17:21:34 GMT by
Thanks, I checked and all good on that front, I just need HMRC to answer: Please can someone respond: 1. Do you need a complete work history for the last 17 years I have been out of the UK? 2. Do you need exact dates of when I left the UK? 3. Do you need an exact date of my last UK job? I did not keep my p60 so I have no idea? The company no longer exists.
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:58:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi stark316 stark,
Please provide a covering letter explaining your situation and advise that the dates you are providing are estimated.
With regards to your employment in the US, please list your current position on the application form, but if you have had any gaps in your employment abroad from the date you left the UK in 2007, please provide a covering letter providing details of all employments including names and addresses and dates of employment/self-employment.
Address to write to: 
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN
United Kingdom

Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:59:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi stark316 stark

If you could complete our CF83 application form to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst overseas and include the best estimate of your date of departure from the UK and again an estimate of your last UK employment.  
You should include a covering note to detail your periods of employment/self-employment outside of the UK since 6 April 2006 (ie from … to …).  Again, best estimates would be fine.

Thanks

Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:32:51 GMT by Joseph Stark
I couldnt log back in under my current user name, but I did not receive this message and already sent the package without the covering note detailing my periods of employment/self-employment outside of the UK since 6 April 2006. Should I send this as a separate item, can I upload it anywhere. or wait for you to write to me?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:21:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As you have sent in your CF83 application form to us, you should now wait for a full reply from our international team. Our international team are dealing with queries received in March 2023 so, unfortunately, there could be about a 51 week delay before you can expect a reply. You will not be penalised for our delays however.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:38:25 GMT by Joseph Stark
Will I still be able to purchase the NI credits at a reduced rate with a back looking history to 2006 based on the current law if you do not process the information in a timely manner?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:54:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

We can confirm that you will not be penalised for any delay that you experience in receiving a reply from us. Your query will be in our system which will have the date that we received it and we would always allow individuals to pay voluntary contributions at the rates in force when we received their queries.

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 10:36:36 GMT by villager 1332
This may be obvious to everyone else but I am confused by the wording Question 27: " Does this employer hold your contract of service?" If I have stopped working for that employer should I just say NO?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 08:21:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi villager 1332,
Your answer should reflect the situation while you were still employed by that employer.
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 15:29:26 GMT by Margaret Desmond
Hi there, I have completed my CF83 form 4 times. I have sent 3 of them via registered post. Each time I receive a standard letter stating that I qualify and I need to completed a CF83 form. Why is it so difficult? I live in Ireland, can I make an appointment and travel to the UK to get it sorted. The phone lines are very busy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mags
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2024 10:00:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Margaret,
Sorry for any inconvenience caused with the CF83 application forms.
May I ask that you call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 203 7010 (from overseas) and they will be able to check your National Insurance account.
National Insurance: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.