Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:12:14 GMT by anderssummers
Hello, I am in the process of submitting my application to the Home Office for my UK Citizenship application. In one section of the application, I am asked for my employer details and "tax office reference number". My employer is Marks and Spencer, and when I asked HR, they said that M&S' "PAYE reference number" was:....... My question is as to whether the "tax office reference number" is the same thing as a company's "PAYE reference number"? Appreciate this may seem to be a detail, but I would like to ensure my application to the Home Office is accurate, given that the cost of an application in £1400. Many thanks

[Personal information removed - Admin]
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:26:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi anderssummers,
Your tax office reference number will be your National Insurance number or a UTR (if applicable).
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 11 Feb 2024 20:32:23 GMT by anderssummers
Hi HMRC, I don't believe it is to do with the national insurnace number, as this is asked previously in the citizenship application form. Please see below extract of questions. So hence my question, does "Tax office reference number" refer to my employer's tax office reference number? thanks What is your current National Insurance number? Employment details Are you currently employed? What is your occupation? Employer or business name Employer or business address Start Date Tax office reference number
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:30:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi anderssummers

If you are employed by a UK employer, they will have an employer's reference number, attached to their local tax district.  
The payroll department of your employer, will be able to provide you with this information, as well as their head office address.  
If you are not in employment then you could use ""N/A"" or or leave the box blank if it permits this.

Thank you

Posted Sun, 25 Feb 2024 22:12:29 GMT by anderssummers
Thank you, I will ask my employer. When you say "they will have an employer's reference number, attached to their local tax district. " -- what do you call this reference number? Thanks
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:07:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

This will be the employers PAYE reference number.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:07:00 GMT by anderssummers
Sorry, I am a bit confused. So will my employer's PAYE reference number indicate to what is my employer's tax office reference number? The Home Office require the tax office reference number of my employer to review my citizenship application. So I just wanted to confirm I am doing the right thing by providing my employer's PAYE reference number?
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:33:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, it will.

You should also seek clarifcation from the Home Office as to what they actually require.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.