Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:16:52 GMT by
My first name has a space in between, and I believed because of that my first name was wrongly recorded in my personal tax account. I have requested for a name change and wait for more than 15 days as stated in the notification email received, but still got no reply from HMRC. I wonder if I will miss the deadline to register for self assessment by 5 Oct because the system keep fail my registration for unmatched information, which I believe is due to my first name enter did not match. I am not sure what should I do, should I keep on waiting the name change reply, or should I submit the self assessment with my name that match existing account but in fact was a wrong name. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:51:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Hing Yip Lau,

You should submit the Self Assessment that matches the account.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 06:28:10 GMT by
Hello, I will need help with my surname change. Actually my surname is incorrectly mentioned on the HMRC online portal but I have recently realized that so I have raised the request yesterday to change one letter in my surname which was missing. I have mentioned that as Legal name change since I was not sure what options should I consider. all my documents like passport and BRP have my correct surname from the day I came to UK in 2010 but I have now raised the request to correct that on HMRC portal, is that ok and do you think it will be any problem since I am worried and do you know how long it will take?

[Display name amended - Admin]
Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 17:40:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi vivek
You can log in to your Personal Tax Account (if you have one) & correct your name that is showing on the portal.
To do this,you can follow these steps:
To change the name displayed on your account you will need to log in to your government gateway account using your User ID and Password,you will need to enter the access code if required.
select 'Manage account' at the top of the screen
select 'View or change your business tax account details'
select 'Manage your Government Gateway details' on the bottom right of the screen
select 'Change'
select 'Continue'
enter new name and select 'Continue'.
If  your name is incorrectly held on the HMRC systems at the Tax Office etc then I suggest you look at your personal details held within your Personal Tax Account.
If you can’t make the correction then you can contact the Tax Office & ask them to make the correction on 0300 200 3300.

Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:19:01 GMT by
I am trying to update my surname with HMRC after numerous attempts to sign into my government gateway account and being told that my details do not match. Have sent a message through online help, who suggested I phone and change my details that way. Every time I phone I am cut off. Trying to change my details is taking up hours of my life!!! Can anyone direct me on what to do please??
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:20:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you have been unable to do this online, you will need to contact our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 15:15:29 GMT by Chegm
Hi, I am in the same boat, my name in HMRC is in my previous married name, which I haven't used for 22 years. I got married 13 years ago and thought that the name feed would pull through to HMRC. I have changed my name with my employer, DVLA and passport office. Because of this I cannot create a Gov Gateway account because the names don't match, verification does not work so I cannot change my name with HMRC because I need a gateway account, are you seeing the cycle. I have tried everything and am getting nowhere. I have been at this now for 10 hours. I was directed to the Digital Technical Support team who said "If you cannot pass the identity check, you cannot access the online personal tax account but I can use the other services." I am ringing 0300 200 3300 and go through giving them my NI number, date of birth, post code and listening how I could do the name change via the Gov Gateway account. Then they say they have no one available to help and they hang up. I cant write to them I can't email them, I need a Gateway account. Anyone got any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 14:51:24 GMT by
HELP!! I am in the same position as Chegm, I can't change my name because my ID (passport and driving licence) is in my new name. I can't create a gateway ID to do this. Nobody is helping me. I was told to call the national insurance office 0300 322 3500 but this wasn't any help. I have been on the phone for 2 hours, going round in circles. Please can someone tell me what I need to do.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 15:40:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Chegm

Our Income Tax helpline should be available to help with this, it is less busy if you are able to call earlier in the day.
If you continue to have issues you will need to write to us. Contact details can be found here-
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:52:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi natty,

If you contact our Income Tax team by telephone or writing we can update this.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:38:02 GMT by
Hello. I have submitted a request to change my last name (which changed through marriage). It’s been over 4 weeks and I had no reply. Should I wait or resubmit my request?
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:32:48 GMT by
Hi, on the 11th June I submitted a form request through my government gateway portal to change my surname, but have still not heard anything and my name still hasn’t been updated, how do I chase this up? This is being changed due to marriage. I didn’t even know I had to do this as thought it would automatically update from my employer. I need to apply for child benefit but I am unable to submit that request as my name doesn’t match my ID documents, so I urgently need this updating. I have tried to call the main tax number, but every time I provide all my details and then it just says no one is available and then hangs up, which is not helpful.
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:43:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi lipcowa McConnell

You can submit another request, these are worked in date order and we would close all requests when the record has been updated.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:31:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi AmyFoley

Based on the timescale we would expect this to have been reviewed.
If it is still not updated please contact our helpline again or submit another form. Our contact details can be found here
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 07:57:34 GMT by
I am trying to change my name with HMRC as they still have my maiden name. I am unable to use the ID check App as my passport and drivers licence are in my married name. This means I am unable to log in to submit a form to change my name. I have tried phoning several times and I am unable to get through on the phone. I can read from a previous post that others are in a similar situation, one piece of advice is 'If you contact our Income Tax team by telephone or writing we can update this.' Can you please let me know who to write to and what to include? Is it an original copy of the marriage certificate or a copy etc? Also the address to write to? Can you please let me know the following: 1. Why does HMRC not have my married name as I have changed it with my employer? 2. Why is there always long waits on the phone or the call is ended as the lines are too busy? I have been phoning this morning since 8am, and I am now in the queue. However yesterday I was cut off 4 times as the phone lines were so busy. 3. Is there another way I can change my name to allow me to log onto HMRC as I seem to be suck unable to verify my ID and therefore unable to log on? Thank you Jenny
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 11:10:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi jenny,

You will need to write to the Income Tax department, the address is shown here.

Income Tax: general enquiries

We cannot advise on why the records havent been updated as we can't access your record from the forum.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:18:30 GMT by
Hi HMRC, My name is SHAFEEQA but it has been used as Surname on my passport and BRP, I don't know how they got it wrong, as U downloaded HMRC aap to see my details there I came to know. I want to get it changed. Please help me. Called on the given number no one is picking up the call. Please it's urgent.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:54:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Na Shafeeqa,
If you are unable to do this online then please contact us for assistance.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:40:51 GMT by
Hi Income tax officer. Where to call ? I have called on HMRC number, nobody picks up the call, could you please drop the number or email address here so that I contact. It's bit urgent as well please
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 10:05:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Na Shafeeqa,

The telephone number is 0300 200 3300.
We do not use emails.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.